No One Can Hurt You

The place is quiet when I sneak in. Not a soul anywhere. I expected to at least find Toga or Compress hanging around at this time. Or at least Twice doing something strange.

I open the door to Dabi and I's shared room. He looks fast asleep, face half buried into my pillow with his half-naked body starfished across the bed. This is how it is every night. I'm not even sure how we share the same bed.

I remove my jacket and clothes, awkwardly slipping under his arm and reclaiming half of my pillow. I close my eyes and let myself relax.

A sudden chill runs through my body and I peek through as eye to see Dabi glaring at me.

"Sorry did I wake you?" I whisper.

"Do you want to explain where you were or we've you been?" He growls.

"Just doing villain stuff."

"Let's try that one again, yes?"

"I was out taking a stroll down memory lane."

"How far down memory lane did you go?"

"Childhood far,"

He lets out a sigh and flops back down onto the bed. "Did anyone see you?"

"Yes,"

"Don't just say yes. Who saw you?"

"Endeavor, Natsuo, some students from UA."

"I'm convinced at this stage you're trying to get caught."

"I was trying to be careful."

"Apparently not. Did you speak to any of them?"

I avert my eyes. "Just Natsuo,"

"What did you two talk about?"

"Why do you care?"

"Because he's my brother and I don't want him involved in any of this."

My eyes move back over to Dabi. "So you still care about him."

"Look I just don't want him involved in this whole hero thing."

I move in closer to him with a smile on my face. "I don't either but I think you still care about your little brother."

He pushes me away a little. "Don't start with that crap. I barely care about you."

I roll on top of him and straddle his hips. "Your words don't hurt me." I trace over the staples on his chest. "Because I know most of the time you're lying. If anything you care too much."

My phone dings and Dabi zeros in on it pretty quickly. Before I even have a chance to move away from him, he grabs it from the bedside table. His eyebrows knit together as he reads
whatever is on the screen.

"You saved him from a villain?"

"I had to. He would've been killed otherwise."

"How do you think this is going to look? You saving Endeavor's son. They already don't trust you." He whispers growls. "You love getting yourself into trouble, don't you?"

"I know but I couldn't just stand there and let anything happen to him."

Dabi puts the phone down and sighs. He stares up at the ceiling. "What a plot twist you turned out to be,"

"What does that mean?"

He gently pulls me off him and sits up. "I need some fresh air. Go to sleep, you've had a long night."

"You can't just say something like that and then leave,"

He snorts but doesn't turn back to look at me. "Go to sleep, we'll talk more in the morning."

And, with that, he gets up and leaves the room. I sit a little dumbfounded. My phone chimes one more time bringing my attention back to it.

I pick it up and read over the message that Dabi saw.

I'm okay, thanks for saving me tonight. Call me when you can.

Please tell me you got away.

I click call and listen patiently as it rings. I hear it connect on the other end.

"Are you okay? Did you get away?" These are the first questions that come out of his mouth.

I laugh a little. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm safe for now."

"What do you mean for now?"

"I don't think saving Endeavor's son is going to go down with the league."

He goes quiet for a moment. "Why did you do it then?"

"Because I don't think I could go through losing another Todoroki again," I whisper.

"What are you going to do?"

I flop down onto the bed. "I don't know. Maybe just see how everything goes but I don't think they'll believe anything I say."

"Come stay with Fuyumi, hide out here."

I laugh. "That's a good one, Natsuo. It's like you forgot who your dad is for a second there."

"I'm serious. He's moving us out to make sure no one can track us down. A safe place you could call it."

"Won't he come around and visit? I'm sure he'll notice the villain in his house. Also, what about Fuyumi? How does she feel about me?"

"I'll talk to her and see if I can convince her to let you stay."

"I don't know. I might be putting the both of you in more danger."

"We'll have you to protect us."

"From the heroes and the villains?"

"Look, I'll talk to Fuyumi and see what she says."

"Okay, do whatever want to do, just don't get yourself into trouble," I say. "Look I have to go. Don't message me unless it's important."

"Please stay safe and don't hesitate to contact me."

"You, too."

I end the call and drop the phone back down on the bedside table. A shiver runs down my spine.

I've spent my whole life trying to prove to society that I wasn't a villain just to become one. Now, I have to prove to the villains that I'm not a hero...