Just Goes To Show

The sun shines through the open balcony door and I roll over to avoid it. Another day has come. A sigh leaves me as I stare at the paint that is chipping off the walls. This isn't the life I had planned for.

Dabi's words have been playing through my head all night even in my dreams. I put my hand on the cheek he touched. Was everything last night a dream? Was it just my mind playing tricks on me? Is it the trauma from the past trying to ease my anxiety about what's been happening?

My phone starts ringing on the table beside my bed. It's too early for someone to be needing me. I reach out a hand and flip it over.

It's Aizawa.

A groan leaves me, it can only mean one thing if he is the one ringing me.

"Hello," I croak out, sitting up in my bed.

"We are having an early meeting, we need you down here in ten minutes." He gets to the point.

"Sure, I'll be down there soon," I grumble before hanging up.

I'm running on less than three hours of sleep, between being held at the station for no good reason and Dabi's little visit. I quickly shower, rinsing off the events of last night and putting on my teacher's attire. I don't bother to check how I look. I already feel like death, I don't really need the visual confirmation of it.

The teacher's lounge is filled with multiple heroes, some don't even acknowledge my presence. I recognise a couple from last night, they looked well slept and refreshed.

Aizawa gives me a small nod as Present Mic hands me a coffee. The only two heroes that aren't judgemental of me. I think that's because Aizawa doesn't really care for the opinions of others and Mic is pretty relaxed.

"Thank you for meeting with us this early in the morning, as you are aware the Sports Festival is still going to go ahead." All Might announces.

My whole body tenses up and I try my best to remain calm. Every year I have been forced to help out with this stupid Sports Festival as some kind of sick punishment. Aizawa shoots me a look and I just smile it off the best I can.

"Even after the recent villain attack?" Another hero askes.

"We have decided we will go ahead with it. We just need to have a bit more security than in previous years." All Might explains. "Flare, we have placed you on arena clean up during the matched battles."

I physically cringe. "Can't I just be on security like I am every year?" I ask, not wanting to be in that arena.

He gives me a strange look. "We have a few students this year that can form different substances and your plasma melts through most things. It will be of use to us."

I give a small nod. There is no point in trying to argue my case, it's not like any of them would really understand why.

"That's all her quirk is useful for." Someone whispers loud enough for me to hear.

All Might carries on explaining what needs to be done for the Sports Festival but at this stage, I'm no longer listening. It's basically the same shit every year. Come show off your quirk, show other heroes how strong you are but be careful they might label you a potential villain.

I fist-bump my classmates as I head down to the arena. I've worked so hard to be here, blood, sweat, and tears have been all for this moment.

My name is chanted all around as I take that first step onto the arena. I plaster a proud smile on my face as I wave into the crowd. This is a chance to make a name for me.

"Introducing our two finalists. Tsuji Eito and (l/n) (f/n)!"

The crowd around us roars with anticipation. My opponent steps up, there is no look of joy on his face. He isn't a part of my class. I give him a friendly wave, only to be ignored.

"Let's get this show on the road," the announcer shouts. "Go!"

Tsuji launches himself toward me before I have a chance to even acknowledge we have started. I'm quick to dodge his first attack but my eyes grow wide as he brings his crystallized arm back around. It connects hard with my jaw and I'm flung backward from the force.

I hit the ground, the breath knocked from my lungs. I struggle to my feet, only to have a fist connect with my cheek this time. Blood dribbles down the side of my mouth.

"They should've had me fight you at the start. It would've saved you this embarrassing act now." Tsuji says as he cracks his knuckles.

"We're only getting started," I jump to my feet. "Bring it on, crystal boy." I taunt.

Irritation is apparent in his eyes as he runs at me again.

All Might claps his hands together making me jolt back to reality. A couple of heroes give me a side-eye but make no comment.

"It's settled then. Remember this is a day for the students to showcase their quirks and abilities." He reminds us.

I roll my eyes as I turn away moving over to my desk. The heroes disappear from the teacher's lounge slowly. I slump forward on my desk, my head hitting the tower of paperwork I have to do.

"So, what happened last night?" Aizawa asks.

"Went for a walk, got caught up in a bank robbery, cornered by a villain, and then got accused of being dangerous," I mumble into my desk.

"How long did they hold you for this time?"

"I got released at two this morning and then had trouble falling asleep," I explain turning my head to the side to look at him.

There is a bored look on his face. "They really need to drop this monitoring on you. It doesn't help that the agencies tell the new ones to be wary of you."

I sigh. "Maybe I should just quit the hero business and become a housewife or something." I joke.

"Do whatever makes you happy," he says in the least enthusiastic tone possible before walking away.

I stare at a poster of All Might on the wall. There was once a time that I strived to be just like him. To be a symbol of peace but the more I used my quirk, the more I realized that would never happen for me.

Present Mic pats my shoulder as he walks out. A groan leaves me as I lift my head from the desk and grab my books for class.

From future hero to disappointing teacher.

What a shame...