You Were Never On My Side

Safe and sound once again back in our broken-down apartment in Musutafa. I curl up in the corner of the couch by the window. The sun is just starting to set.

"So, what exactly happened? How did anyone find us?" I ask.

Dabi leans against the countertop. "I snuck out to find us some food. I didn't realize I was being followed until I got back. I tried waking up your dumb ass but you were completely out."

"Thanks for pulling me out of there," I say.

"I've given too much for you to be found in some broken-down house." He says, looking away from me. "I got you into this mess."

"I got myself into this mess. You've just been helping out an old friend." I state. 

I turn away from him and look down onto the street below. Happy civilians walk around, not a care in the world. 

"What were you dreaming about anyway?" He asks.

"How do you know I was dreaming of anything?" 

"You were making some pretty happy noises when I picked you up."

My cheeks flush hot and I don't dare look at him. "I can't remember. Maybe it was a nightmare."

"So, who was the lucky man?" 

I shake my head. "I can't remember."

He pushes off the counter and walks over to me. He places his hands on my thighs and leans in close to my face, slightly looking down at me. "Don't be shy. You can tell me." He whispers.

I give him the side-eye. "Pro hero Hawks." I lie.

He raises his eyebrows. "I didn't think you'd be into guys like him."

"Please tell me what kind of men you think I'm into?"

"Piercings and daddy issues."

"Who says Hawks doesn't have daddy issues?" I say. 

Dabi presses down on my thighs. "Come on, tell me who you were really dreaming about."

"Why do you care so much?"

"Because I want to hear you say my name."

"Sorry to break it to you but it wasn't you Dabi." I smile at him. 

"But you wish it was me, right?"

I go back to looking out the window. "We should break into my old apartment tonight." I change the subject.

He pushes away and sits down beside me. "You're no fun, Mrs. Todoroki." He purrs in my ear.

I kick my leg out to the side and land it straight into his side. He lets down a groan. "I would never marry your dad, maybe Natsuo though. He's grown into a kind young man."

"You really know how to get on my nerves, don't you?" He says.

I move and straddle his lap, looking down into his eyes. "I sure do," I whisper.

He places his hands on my waist and a smirk grows on his face. "Though I'm not complaining about this right now."

I bring my face closer to his, our noses just touching. "I know you're not." I gently tap his cheek and jump off his lap. "Let's go break into my old apartment."

"Fine, whatever." He huffs.

The sun has vanished behind the skyscrapers of the city and most of the streets are dim. Dabi and I walk, trying to act casual and not draw any attention to us. We keep our masks up and avoid all eye contact.