Not What You'd Think

I sit on the bar counter with my legs dangling off the side as I watch the TV screen. It's just news report after news report about the League of Villains, the kidnapping of Bakugou, and how UA has failed as a school.

Shigaraki chuckles to himself turning it off. I mentally curse him for taking away my distraction. He turns and looks at the boy who is currently restrained. I don't dare make eye contact with him. I understand why we had to restrain him, we all saw the Sports Festival but still.

A shiver runs down my spine and Dabi shoots me a look. I make brief eye contact before looking away.

"Look at all the publicity we are getting. We've really rattled the hero society." Shigaraki laughs.

Bakugou keeps the glare fixed on his face as I watch him out of the corner of my eyes. His eyes move back and forth between Shigaraki and me.

"So, what do you think Bakugou? How would you like to join the League of Villains?" Shigaraki offers.

The boy's face screws up even more in disgust. "Like hell, I'd ever join you low lives."

Shigaraki starts scratching at his neck but manages to keep his cool unlike when Dabi first gave him backchat. 

Dabi and I make eye contact from across the room. He's probably thinking the same thing but it's not like I can read his stoic face right now. 

"I thought you were dead." Bakugou sneers at me.

I don't move. "I faked my own death," I answer quietly.

"Just to join the League of Villains. Pathetic."

I slowly move my head back in his direction, the rest of the room is silent. "Pathetic. My life before joining this dysfunctional group was pathetic. Pro heroes walked all over me and treated me like trash all because of a small mistake I'd made when I was your age. What made it even worse was that I was a licensed pro hero."

He remains silent.

"I was restrained just as you were during my Sports Festival. They made me feel as though I was already a villain. As I got older that never stopped, it actually got a lot worse. There was nothing I could say or do to convince anyone otherwise."

"So, you resorted to attacking children?" He snaps.

"I wasn't aware that was the plan when we went after the students. I thought we were after the pro heroes." My eyes flicker over to Shigaraki who is focused on him.

"I'll give you one more chance, Katsuki Bakugou. Will you join the League of Villains?" Shigaraki asks.

"Go throw yourself into traffic." Bakugou snaps.

Shigaraki turns away from him and turns the TV back on. I slip off the bar counter and walk over to Dabi. The whole time I can feel Bakugou's eyes fixed on me. 

I come to stand on the other side of Dabi, half hiding beside him. I watch the screen intently. Mr. Aizawa, Vlad, and the principal of UA appear, dressed all prim and proper. I cross my arms over my chest.

The interviewers are grilling them, with questions about the safety of the students and the responsibility they are going to take for what has happened. They are basically being treated like villains now.

"Getting a taste of their own medicine," Dabi whispers to me.

I give a small nod. "About time."

The interview ends and my face suddenly flashes on the screen. My body turns to ice. Alive is printed across the bottom of the picture in red. Dabi's hand finds my shoulder giving it a small squeeze.