𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚

CHAPTER FIVE
"No friend of mine"

After narrowly escaping from the Center for Disease Control, Rick and the rest of the group decide to leave Atlanta for good

After narrowly escaping from the Center for Disease Control, Rick and the rest of the group decide to leave Atlanta for good. It took Jane a lot of convincing but she knew if she was going to be in this group she was going to need to tough it up and learn to live a different way. The city is firmly in the hands of the walkers, and they decide to give Shane's idea of finding refuge at the army base at Fort Benning a try.

As the group prepares for their journey, Shane Walsh stares longingly at Rick's family. Jane notices once again how Shane looks at Lori and Rick he looks at them in disgust like he longs for that to be him instead of Rick. The group abandons some of the vehicles in their convoy, bringing just the RV, Carol Peletier's Cherokee, and Daryl's motorcycle.

Carol, Lori, Rick, Carl and Sophia drive in the Cherokee while Jane, Glenn, Andrea, Shane, T-Dog and Dale ride in the RV. Dale Horvath drives the RV while Glenn studies a road map. Jane watches curiously as Shane takes apart his gun to clean it with ease.

The convoy has come upon a traffic problem with hundreds of abandoned vehicles, filled with rotting corpses, blocking the roads. Jane and Glenn stand up and walk over to the driver seat where Glenn sits in the passenger seat and Jane kneels in between them. On his motorcycle, Daryl leads them through a snaked out path that was likely carved through by other survivors. Glenn nervously points out a highway overpass a few miles back, but Dale dismisses it. "We can't spare the fuel," he tells him.

"What do we do?" Jane asks as the group nervously crawls through the wreckage, with no way to know what sort of dangers lurk within. The situation worsens when the RV's radiator hose breaks down again. This forces the group to stop altogether - their cars are trapped.

"If you can't find a radiator hose here..." Shane points out, and the group realizes that they can scavenge the vehicles along the highway for supplies. "We could siphon more fuel from these cars, for a start," Jane suggests and Rick pats her shoulder gently for the great idea. "Maybe some water?" Carol asks. Lori is quick to point out that this traffic snarl is a graveyard. "I don't know how I feel about this," Lori says slowly keeping hold of Carl. Silently, they agree the supplies are very important, and Shane announces, "Gather what you can, y'all."

Dale enlists Glenn and Jane with fixing the radiator hose. "Sometimes the points get corroded," he says, looking back at Jane "Want to give it a try Dr?" Dale asks and Jane chuckles tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Uh- I'll just watch. I'm a virologist not a mechanic" Jane chuckle awkwardly as she watches Dale and Glenn intensely as they try to fix the radiator. After Dale explains everything Glenn decides to give it a try by himself so Dale could keep watch and Dale does just that and leaves the two by the RV while he climbs up top and gets better look.