𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

CHAPTER NINETEEN

——

Jane puts her gun away and looks over to Rick and Carl as they cross a field to make their way home

Jane puts her gun away and looks over to Rick and Carl as they cross a field to make their way home. "Thank you" Rick whispers as he looks to Jane who sends him a nod and looks down at Carl. "What happened to Shane?" Carl asks and Jane and Rick look to each other before they notice the walkers approaching.

"Come on" Jane says as she takes a hold of Carls hand and runs with him while Rick runs behind them making sure there safe. While they are running up to the farmhouse the path up to the house becomes blocked by the herd. Jane falls to the ground and Rick helps her up quickly. Rick decides to run toward the empty barn and locks himself, Jane and Carl within.

Jane pushes her hair and lets out quiet sobs. "We have to get to the others" Jane says as she starts to panic. "And we will... We just have to wait" Rick says looking around the barn. "What do you mean wait?" Jane shouts and Rick puts his hand up as the dead slam against the doors. Rick douses the ground with gasoline.

"What are you doing?" Jane says as she backs away from the gasoline being poured out on the ground. "Carl, Jane. Up there hurry" Rick instructs as he points to a ladder. "Rick, we're not going up there without you" Jane says as she places a hand on Carl's shoulder.

"I'll be right there but I need you— I need you Jane to take care of my son" Rick says as he reaches his hand out to touch Janes cheek but he pulls away and Jane looks down at Carl then back up at Rick. Rick pulls out a lighter from his pocket and hands it to Jane. "Drop this when I say. It'll stop some of them from reaching the house and it'll distract the others so we will have a chance" Rick explains and Jane holds onto the lighter nodding her head after every word Rick tells her but swear beams off of her head as she starts to over think the situation.

"Jane— Jane! You got this" Rick reassures as he lifts her chin up to look at her. "Carl. I love you" Rick says as he bends down and hugs his son tightly then pulls away. Jane rushes Carl up the ladder as she goes on after him and they both make it to the top of the hayloft. Rick walks over and opens the doors to the barn and as walkers pour in, Rick hurries up the ladder. Jane helps him up the rest of the way and helps him stand to his feet.

"Jane! Now!" Rick shouts and Jane reaches for the lighter in her pocket but doesn't feel it. "I— I don't have it" Jane says as Rick and her both look over to Carl who has the lighter. Carl lights it and drops onto the bottom floor making the barn start to ignite in flames. Jane gently pulls Carl away from the edge as the fire burst up and walkers growl as they burn.

They try to go out the back of the barn but walkers swarm that area. Rick sees the RV pulling up in the distance and yells them to get closer as Carl shoots a few more walkers. "Come on!" Rick shouts as the RV comes to a stop and he jumps over onto another part of the roof helping Carl and Jane get there also before they all jump on top of the RV since they were closer.