𝙩𝙚𝙣

CHAPTER TEN
"Get me out!"

Overnight almost everyone had a good nights rest and woke up in the morning

Overnight almost everyone had a good nights rest and woke up in the morning. Shane, T-Dog Jane and Glenn help Hershel's family collect rocks for Otis' funeral. While collecting rocks Jane can't help but keep her scared, guilty face she's had on since she got back from the run with Shane.

Glenn keeps looking over at Jane but he doesn't want to pry but Jane also notices Glenn staring at her every 5 seconds. "Is there something wrong? You've been staring at me for the longest" Jane states as she stands up straight looking down at Glenn bent over picking up a rock.

"Nothing, you just don't look any different at all. You look scared of something or... someone and you haven't said anything about what happened with Otis" Glenn says laying it all on the table. "Otis sacrificed himself.. like Shane said" Jane states and Glenn sighs shaking his head.

"Yeah, he said that but is that what Otis did?" Glenn asks and Jane looks Glenn in the eyes as she stands up straight as well. "Y-Yes, Otis sacrificed himself for Shane and I" Jane lies and Glenn continues to look at Jane but with a more disappointing look.

"You know after we saved you from getting blown up, I thought you'd have the decency to tell us the truth" Glenn states as he sets his rocks in Janes basket and brushes past her in anger. Jane stands there playing with the rocks in her basket as tears fall down her cheek. She quickly wipes them and takes a deep breath before she starts to recall that night again.

After everyone has settled, Hershel leads a funeral for Otis, piling his grave with the rocks they'd collected earlier, and asks Shane, wearing a pair of Otis' overalls, "Would you offer some form of eulogy since you were the last one to see him alive?".

Knowing the truth behind Otis' death, Shane initially tries to avoid having to make such a speech, but Patricia, Otis' wife, begs to know that his death had meaning, pointing out that Shane was the only one who shared Otis' final moments. "Otis sacrificed his life to help save Carl" As Shane speaks, Jane has quickly flashbacks of Otis's final moments and it is clear that these final moments are vastly different from what Shane describes to the group.

"He was an amazing man, I can tell you that right now. And— and I and Jane are lucky so lucky to be alive because of him and I can't do much except thank him for.. everything" Shane says and Jane looks down at the rocks placed for Otis then over at Otis's upset wife and Jane can't take it anymore, her breathing becomes uneven and she slowly slips away from the group taking quick breathes to try and calm down while also having flashbacks of what happened.

After the funeral, Hershel's eldest daughter, Maggie, brings a map of the county to assist in coordinating the search for Sophia, but Hershel won't allow Rick and Shane to head off the farm on account of Shane's ankle, and Rick having given three units of blood for Carl the day before.

Daryl decides he'll head out to look for Sophia on his own. Shane suggests finally teaching people how to shoot, though Hershel disapproves of guns being carried around on his property. Rick agrees with Hershel, "We are guests of Hershel and his family and must respect their rules" Rick states and Jane stands next to Rick nodding in agreement as the sun beams on them.

Rick is able to negotiate that Dale continues to serve as a lookout, keeping an eye out for nearby walkers. "Well, medical supplies are running low we need to get more. I'll ge head out to the local pharmacy and get more" Maggie states in her nice country accent. "You could take Glenn, he's our group's 'go-to-town' expert" Rick states and Maggie nods her head grabbing her stuff before hand.

"Hey, Jane wanna join us?" Glenn asks while Jane looks at the map. Jane turns her head and looks over at Glenn and shakes her head. "No, I was going to stay and learn to shoot with Shane" Jane says and Glenn nods his head slowly.

"Are you sure you want to be around him?" Glenn asks and Rick and Hershel turn there way. Jane clears her throat and pushes Glenn to the side. "Can you just stay out of it? I told you the truth" Jane lies once again and Glenn secretly knows.

"Whatever Jane, I'm trying to help you" Glenn says and Jane sighs walking back over to Rick and Hershel and reading the map with them.

A couple minutes later everyone was getting fit to leave while Rick and Jane were setting up their campsite outside Hershel's house to give them more privacy when Hershel walked outside. "You people are better off closer to the house. I don't want you to think you're welcome on the farm permanently" Hershel states pointing his finger. "But once you find this girl, and your boy's fit for travel, I expect you'll move on. We need to be clear on that," he tells them and Rick and Jane nod looking to Hershel.

"Hey! Come look at this!" T-Dog shouts and everyone turns there heads. "I'm sure it's nothing. Go check it out" Rick tells Jane and Jane nods her head and runs over to T-Dog along with Glenn, Maggie, Andrea, Lori, and Shane. They all gather around the well and look down seeing a bloated, wet zombie reaching helplessly for them from the bottom.

"Well he's been down there a long time" Andrea jokes, "long enough to grow gills" Dale comments, "Looks like we've got ourselves a swimmer." Dale adds and everyone lets out a raspy chuckle.

The group begins to discuss options to deal with the walker in the well. "We can just shoot it" Glenn says and Jane shakes her head. "Shooting the walker in its place would certainly pollute the drinking water" Jane comments and Dale nods his head in agreement.

"Well if we can't kill it... what do we do?" Maggie asks as she looks around. "We need to get the walker out. We get it out, kill it and there's still water to drink. Fresh water at that" Dale suggests and Maggie shrugs.

"I have ham, we can try and lure it onto the rope and pull him up" Maggie states and Dale snaps his fingers as T-Dog runs and grabs a long enough rope. Once T-Dog rushes back, Maggie ties ham at the end of it and the group attempts to bait it with canned ham but it ends up failing. Jane lets out a sigh "No, walkers like to eat humans, fresh humans so it will obviously not eat anything that's not fresh" Jane states and Shane and Lori let out a groan of annoyance.

"Well what do we do?" Andrea asks putting her hands on her hips. "I'll go down" Glenn states and Jane furrows her eyebrows. "No, that's suicide we can just try a different way" Jane says shutting down Glenn's terrible idea.

"Then give me another way because right now we have none" Glenn says and Maggie shrugs her shoulders. "Okay, it's not a terrible idea. We send him down and he'll pull him up" Maggie says and Jane scoffs.

"How does he do this without getting bit in the process?" Jane asks as she looks around at the group but everyone stays silent. "It's the only way" Glenn says as he brings the rope up and ties it around his waist. "Diver down" Glenn says with a smile on his face and Jane rolls her eyes as she and the rest of the group slowly lower Glenn down in the well. "Tie it!" Shane shouts and the group ties the rope to the water pump and looks down at Glenn.

Glenn almost succeeds in getting the creature harnessed without it noticing him or the ropes, but the water pump breaks under Glenn's weight. Jane widens her eyes as she looks at what's happening. The water pump breaking causes him to fall within reach of the now alert and frantic walker. Glenn screams at the group to pull him out.

"Get me out! Get me out! Get me o—"

WORD COUNT: 1412