𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
"The Governor Returns"
——

Inside A Block, things continue to worsen as more members get sick

Inside A Block, things continue to worsen as more members get sick. Henry cannot breathe, so Hershel decides to intubate him, which allows him to be manually ventilated with an air bag. Sasha and Glenn take shifts pumping air into Henry's lungs, beginning with Sasha. Jane watches it all while standing at the cell door until she begins coughing along with Glenn and Sasha. "Drink that tea" Hershel insists and Jane grabs her own cup and takes a swig of tea before setting the cup down.

"Glenn you two can help me on my rounds" Hershel says standing to his feet. Jane groans and wipes the sweat off her forehead, "I can go too" Jane says and Hershel shakes his head. "Not a chance. Stay with Sasha incase she gets tired. Out of everyone Ive seen you surprisingly look the best" Hershel says and Jane nods her head kneeling down next to
Henry while Sasha pumps.

Jane looks Sasha up and down and can tell she's already getting tired. "I got it" Jane says and Sasha coughs harshly and shakes her head. "I can do
it" Sasha insists and Jane takes the pump and begins pumping air into Henry's lungs herself. "You can barley keep your eyes open. Lay down" Jane states and Sasha nods her head slowly before leaning her head against the wall and takes a sip of the tea.

A little while later Hershel came back and was able to pump air into Henry's lung and ordered everyone back to their rooms. Jane met up with Glenn in thei room and she sat by his bedside while he laid down on the makeshift bed. "You should rest too. I'm fine" Glenn states and Jane sighs. "No you're not besides, I can help" Jane says as she rest her hand on his chest and looks down at him before Hershel begins closing everyone's cell doors. Jane places her hand on her chest and looks around the room and room starts spinning.

"Jane are you okay?" Glenn asks as he forces himself to sit up. "Yeah... fine" Jane mumbles before she unexpectedly passes out on the floor. "Jane! Hershel! Hershel!" Glenn calls out which gets the attention of a female walker. The female walkers walks in the room and Glenn lunges towards it to protect Jane but while he kills the female walker another one comes up and pins him to the ground and Lizzie calls for help. Hershel rushes up the steps as fast as he can and manages to get the walker off Glenn without killing it until the walker tries to lunge towards Lizzie, Hershel manages to throw the walker off of the catwalk. He proceeds to kill three walkers after leading them out of the children's sight.

"Jane! Jane!" Glenn shouts as he crawls towards Jane who is still unconscious on the ground. Hershel rushes in the cell along with him and checks on Jane also, feeling her pulse and feeling the top of her head. "She's dehydrated" Hershel breathes out heavily and Glenn forces himself to place Jane on the bed. Hershel places a wet rag over her forehead and has Glenn proceed to slowly give her sips of water until she wakes up.

A couple hours later Jane slowly opened her eyes and was met with Glenn holding a cup of water by her bedside. "Glenn?" Jane called out and Glenn lifted his head and underneath his eyes were red and his face was practically white. He almost resembled a walker. Jane let out a few coughs and forced herself to sit up. "Drink this" Glenn pressures and Jane grabs the cup from his hands and takes small sips of the water until the whole cup is empty.

"You scared me" Glenn breathes out rubbing Janes arm reassuringly. "Glenn you look horrible lay down" Jane says setting her empty cup down while Glenn let out a few chuckles. "I thought I looked pretty good today" Glenn jokes and Jane shakes her head as she crawls out of the bed and helps Glenn over to his. "How come even when you're hurting you find a way to help everyone else?" Glenn asks and Jane smiles wiping her forehead and taking a few deep breathes. "You forget that I was a doctor. It was my job" Jane breathes out as she looks around the cell for a rag until she finds it and places it on Glenn's head.

~~

It was now the next morning and Jane was feeling 10 times better than before. She could breathe properly even though she was still quite pale she felt better overall. "I'm gonna go outside and get some fresh air. I'll be right back" Jane says as she is about to stand up until Glenn grabs her hand.

"Thank you" Glenn thanks and Jane sends him a smile before rubbing his hand and holding onto the wall to stand to her feet. She left and suddenly the prison was rocked by an explosion. "What the..." Jane breathed out as she rushes outside to see the commotion. She is met with Maggie, Daryl, Rick, Sasha, Tyreese, Carl and a few others. "What the hell was that?" Jane asks as they all lookin the distance and see the governor, who they thought was long gone standing on the top of a military tank, surrounded by his armada of cars and armed survivors outside the prison fences.

"Rick! Come down! We need to talk!" The governor shouts and Jane squints her eyes more seeing someone beside him. "Bring Jane too!" he screams and Jane furrows her eyebrows in confusion when until she sees her sister Joslyn being dragged out of a car and forced to kneel in front of the prison. "Joslyn.." Jane mumbles as she looks to her sister who looks defenseless. "It's not up to me! There's a council now. They run this place!" Rick shouts in the distance while the governor and Joslyn lock eyes. "Is Hershel on the council?" He shouts back asking and everyone's faces drop with immediate shock when Hershel is dragged out of a truck and forced to kneel before the tank. "What about Michonne?" He asks asks and Michonne is brought out of another car and forced to kneel beside Hershel.

"I don't make decisions anymore!" Rick shouts and the governor shrugs his shoulders. "You're make them today, Rick" He responds and Rick and Jane lock eyes. "Now, you and Jane come down here and we can have that talk" He states and Jane sighs looking around at the group. "Rick, I'm willing to go if you are" Jane says looking to Rick who nods his head slowly before patting Janes back. "We got this" Rick whispers as he escorts Jane down to talk to the governor beside him. Jane begins to fidget with her hands and Rick stops them both in their tracks. "Don't show fear. It means he wins. Calm down. We got this" Rick says holding onto Jane's hands to calm her down. Jane takes a few deep breathes, "We got this" Jane repeats as her and Rick start walking back towards the governor and his crowd of people.

"Let 'em go. I'll stay down here and talk as long as you want but you let 'em go" Rick pleads as Jane locks eyes with her sister and her sister actually looks afraid. "You got a tank you don't need hostages" Jane argues moving her eyes to meet the governors. "I do. This is just to sow you I'm serious. Not to blast a hole in our new home" The governor states, "You and your people, have till sundown to get out of here or they die" He demands and Jane locks eyes with Rick and looks back to look at the governor.

"This our home— you can't take it" Jane argues taking a step forward but Rick quickly pushes her back. "It doesn't have to go down this way" Rick pleads and the governor clicks his tongue. "I got more people, more firepower. We need this prison and look at that. There it is " The governor states as he motions to large prison behind Jane and Rick. "You can build a new home. You're good at that!" Joslyn shouts and immediately is hit in the head by the woman behind her. Jane tried lunging towards the fence but Rick holds her back. "Don't touch her!" Jane spats at the woman and the woman pulls her gun on Jane.

"Calm down!" Rick looks to Jane who pushes him away gently and looks down at her sister who struggles to sit herself up but she can tell she's still alive.

TO BE CONTINUED

WORD COUNT: 1461

WORD COUNT: 1461