CHAPTER 63

Mentions of death, painful heartbreak, and blood. Read at your own risk
______

Her heart stopped.

Everything around her became at peace once again, it felt like home. She had him. He had her. They would never put each other in harm's way.

Draco always looked out for her. That's what he always did. After leaving her heartbroken several times, he fixed a scar that wounded deep inside her, one she thought could never be healed. But Draco, his presence fixed a piece of it.

Claude held him tightly, forgetting the times he broke her. Forgetting every hatred moment they shared and instead, replaced It with adoration.

They had become quiet after the long hug. They were shocked to see each other but didn't question it. Neither of them uttered a single word as they only let the fire crackle soothe the tension.

From opposite sides of the table, she slouched in the chair with a blanket covering her shoulders as she held the coffee in her shaking hands.

The sound of the floor creaking startled her, she shot her up to the sound but accidentally caught his eye starting right at her. He set down his cup and clenched the counter edges with his hand.

It frightened her, but he didn't know. He didn't know the terrible things she faced when she was alone at the manor. Alone. Alone everywhere she went.

And the day he left, he instantly regretted it. Just looking at her reminded him that he could have stopped it.

He could've saved her. Just like he was already doing and continuing to do for a long time now.

"Are the doors locked?" The girl spoke while her body flooded with nerves. She couldn't imagine the thought of someone bursting past the weak door and grabbing her, coming back to torture her again.

"Yes. I– I made sure of it after you tried to..." He whispered as he tried to stop from continuing to scare her from the small things that made huge problems.

Claude was depleted after a brutal torture. Luckily he was here for her. He was always there. The masked man – Draco Malfoy. He saved her. In a way, no one else would.

He risked his life tonight, yet no one knew, not even her. Saving Claude cost him more than a lot, it cost him something more painful.

The loss of her. The loss of his life, and preventing him from losing her. He can't imagine not having her. But he has her now, and in the worst possible time.

The blonde lost her once, it nearly ruined him. For as long as he knew, Claude was always his, even if he was never hers.

She placed down her drink from the small sips she took, running her eyes around the cottage she had yet to see so clearly before.

It was a shade of Auburn. Setting the warmth around her and those who stepped foot inside, made her feel warm, she wouldn't be if he was here.

The red curtains had patterns that could distract her at times, the fireplace where she felt a sense of comfort to read alone. Everything had a unique feeling set upon it– just like the roses fabricated so small on everything.

There was one rose resting on the glass table in front of the couch. It looked similar to the one she had in her bag a long time ago, so similar to the one he gave her, every detail, every petal, every memory.

But she remembered it again. Yes, he came back. But he left, he left her again. Claude couldn't blame him, she had done the same to him not too long ago, he hurt the same way she did. They ruined each other's hearts.