Twenty two

A sense of urgency could be felt in the air, like a weighted blanket honestly. Asher tucked Bella behind him before any of the others had a chance, knowing that if anything he wanted the nomads to think he was the cause of the strong scent in the air. 

"They humans are with us," Carlisle spoke in a such a strong voice that it would make another person shudder. 

"Now, now everyone, we won't harm them," Laurent said trying to bring down the tension that was building. 

"I think it's best for you to take your leave now," Carlisle simply stated. 

"Yes, I can see that the game is over. Lets go now, James?" he was desperate at this point to start running but he knew James was out for blood now. The look that James was giving Edward was enough to start a frenzy of events in his brain, and not until Laurent put his hand on James chest to get a move on did the Cullens start gathering everything and shoving the two swans to the jeep. 

"You both need to get out of here now!" Carlisle urgently said, "We'll follow them, get to our house and make a plan Edward." 

They were driving out of the forest in such a matter that on a normal day Asher would get car sick, Emmett hadn't said a word only listening to Edward. Soaking in all the information he had got in such a short amount of time. 

"James is a tracker, and when we reacted it caught his interest and when Asher stepped in front of Bella it made it even more of a game for him. We're a large clan of vampires and we're protecting two humans, this just made it the most interesting game ever for him," the dark digest face he wore when he told the others what was going on made it feel even realer. "Asher, he's going to be after you for the most part because he thinks that you have the stronger scent. So we have to get you out of here first, Bella he is still interested in you but I think that having you stay in our house will be fine. But Asher needs to leave immediately." This was actually happening and Asher didn't like this at all. 

"I can't just leave the state without my dad knowing, but if I'm in this much danger you're going to have to make up some great reason I had to leave," was all Asher said about the whole thing for awhile. He felt sick to his stomach for having to leave with a possibility of never coming back to see his dad, but he knew if he still had Bella then he'd at least be ok. 

"Asher you can't be serious! you're just going to leave like that?" Bella whispered harshly. 

"Shut the fuck up for once Bella! You'd do the same if the tables were turned," Emmett told her hotly. He didn't like this situation more than anyone. He knew that he couldn't go with Asher to the safe place because James already knows his significance to the human. 

That shut everyone up and soon they pulled into the driveway to the Cullen house, seeing everyone gathered in the garage setting up the game plan. Asher wasn't listening at all, trying to focus on an outcome that wouldn't be terrible for everyone. But nothing was looking good and before he knew it he was in a car speeding to Arizona with Alice and Jasper. Alice knew what he was trying to do with her foresight, so she just left him to think as she and jasper spoke so fast Asher couldn't hear a word that they were saying. 

By the time the sun had set the next day the three of them were sitting in a hotel in phoenix, and Alice was trying to get Asher to eat something. 

"Asher, it's been more than a day since you last ate, you need your strength," she tried gently. But he wasn't going to take it until he had a solution, and the only one he had was that in order to fix everything he was going to have to give himself up or try and fight. 

"Alice I can't fathom the thought of eating right now! I'm going to be dead or something worse!" he finally snapped, his voice was hoarse from being silent for the longest time and tears were glistening. Threatening to fall out of his blue eyes and that was when Jasper stepped in to give Asher the tight hug he needed at the moment.