Forty six

Jacob left the Cullen house the world fell apart, well that's what Asher would tell you. Really what happened is Jacob told the pack about Bella and Sam ordered for her death and the babies. It was not the smartest move on either parts, but now Jake swore to protect her and even left his pack to be an alpha of his own. 

The one thing burning Ashers brain though was how were they going to hunt if the woods were being guarded by murderous wolves? Seems like a pretty big issue with a practically mouth watering human who was dying just sitting in the living room. But that was going to have to wait, the family needed to get protection plans going. 

"So, with murder on the brain whats the plan?" Asher simply began, he earned a stifled laugh from Emmett by his side. 

"We simply do what we always do, have someone with Bella at all times and make sure there's watch on the forest," Carlisle spoke like it was just another day. 

"I call dibs on the forest," Jake told the family. 

"Good, thats where dogs belong anyways," Rose commented snidely. She never liked when Jacob was invading their home and leaving his scent all over the place, it took forever to get the smell to go away. 

"Watch it Blondie, I'm already running on a short fuse," he snapped at her sharply and then stalked out to the deck. Desperately needing the fresh air. 

"With protection in order, shots fired, I want to know what we're going to do on the hunting shortage?" Asher asked once again. 

That stumped everyone, because their only resource was being patrolled every waking moment. Sure they could go out of town to get something, but it was better to stay as a group for Bellas sake. So maybe going without till they couldn't would be the best option for now? 

"Thats the best option Asher," Edward agreed for once. 

"Don't leave us in the dark you two," Emmett complains. 

"We'll just go with out until we can't or Bella has the baby," Asher explained. He didn't like this idea for another reason too, there were three vampires still trying to get used to the so called vegan diet they're on. 

So that's where jasper steps in, "I think it's best when we reach our points of starvation we keep distance from Bella." 

"Agreed, this isn't the ideal answer but it'll do for now till I get the exact date for her delivery," Carlisle told them all, "I'll know by tomorrow for sure but for now we take care of her." 

They all agreed and split off throughout the house. 

Asher stepped out on the deck to really process everything and one thing that hit him in the face. Was the fact he couldn't run away to his little house whenever he wanted too, since it was in the woods and he'd rather not die. He would always choose life, he'd come too far to die. For now his places to escape are the porch or Emmetts old room, and he was thankful for them honestly. 

Then there was a presence next to him, the man he was thinking about of course. Emmett always knew when to come to Asher's side, which was pretty much anytime. They didn't speak, they just relished in each others comforting presence. That was the beauty of their relationship, just being there was enough. 

It looked like their wedding was going to be held off for awhile again, which brought an idea to Emmett. 

"What if we ran off to Vermont for a day when this is all over and get eloped?" He asked looking into Ashers eyes. 

"Genius, but you know Alice will have our heads for this," Asher smiled. 

"Who cares?" he whispered before bringing Asher in for a long kiss. 

Asher pulled back for a moment to say, "You're amazing Em," and went back for another. He always loved when Emmett grinned into their kisses, made it more amazing. But they stopped before anything went too far, wouldn't want watching eyes to see something they'd bleach their eyes for. 

The two didn't go back inside till they heard Bella wake up from her restless sleep, both wanting to check on the girl. 

She had more bruising on her stomach and her skin was sunken in, looking more gaunt than ever. Carlisle had done his checkups for the morning, stating she had four days till delivery. But things took a turn, she couldn't keep down food or liquid. They were all sitting around her, while Alice and Jasper were watching the woods. 

Bella was freezing to say the least, if you looked at her she was shaking like a leaf so Edward asked dumbly if she were cold and Jake sat closer to her with a grin. The littlest things made her irritated these days, and this set her off. 

"Don't smile at me like that," she grumbled. 

"Like what?" You could hear how smug he was. 

"Like I'm your favorite person in the world." 

"Well you are one of them," he told her and it made Asher gag dramatically across the room. 

"Gross," he whispered to Emmett who only laughed. But the mood shifted when Bella looked like she was going to throw up again and Rosalie grabbed a bowl immediately for her. 

"If only I could figure out what it wants to eat," Alice said filled with sorrow. They all sat around thinking of options when Jake had a brilliant idea that Edward was eager to try out. 

"You might be onto something Jacob," Edward told him. 

"It wasn't an idea, a snide comment at most," Jacob snapped. 

But Bella didn't care, only worried about the baby, "What was it?" 

Jake looked at her sheepishly, "It's probably just looking for something to sink its teeth into." 

Bellas eyes widened at the clarity, "He's thirsty," she whispered. 

God, did they all know that feeling. It had been weeks since anyone had hunted and eyes were getting darker each day. 

"It's not going to be craving animal blood, but I do have some O neg laid aside for Bella," Carlisle spoke before going to his office for the liquid in question. 

This is when Asher left the room, the mere mention of blood making his mouth fill with venom. He needed it and he couldn't get it. Emmett was quick to follow, running off to help his love deal with his thirst. Asher was still very young to this life and Emmett knew how difficult it was getting used not acting on impulse at the drop of blood. So when they got to Emmetts room, he did the one thing that would help.

He let Asher sink his teeth into his shoulder, needing to take the edge away.