Chapter 19-The Untold Truth

I was standing by the window in my room when Yoongi came in with a cup of hot chocolate in his hand. He closed the door slowly behind him and walked over to me. He handed me the cup and joined me to look over the lake. As I know, Yoongi hates chocolate since young, so he would ask his mom to make hot chocolate for me whenever I go over to his house.

"Your brother's reaction changed too when I uttered Ashley's name, you know," I said as I sipped my hot chocolate.

"We were all very close to Ashley since we were moved. So, probably it is the shock that showed on his face when you said her name in the room," Yoongi said.

"I want to go back down there," I said as I looked at him.

"It is too dangerous down there. Plus, why do you want to go back down there?" Yoongi asked me.

"I want to know more. Don't get me wrong. Something is telling me to go back down there," I said.

"Something or someone?" Yoongi asked curiously.

I looked at him in confusion and placed my cup down on the dressing table. I took a deep breath and gathered all my courage to tell him how I have felt so far with him judging me for being crazy.

"Before coming over here, I was someone who feared you because of your mafia attitude and the way you were but now, I want to be myself. I want to stop pretending," I said as I looked at him bravely.

"Even to stop pretending to care for me?" Yoongi asked back.

"This is not about you, Yoongi, sorry, Mr. Min. Something wants me back in that basement and I feel I could help whatever it is. Just let me be myself for once, can you? Plus, I have been having nightmares about the woman in the lake every night since I came here. I want it to stop", I explained.

"You know you can call me Yoongi, right?" he looked into my eyes.

"Sorry. I have to get used to that but please, I just want to go back to the basement," I pleaded with him.

Yoongi sighed froze for a moment. He reached out the keys from his back pocket and handed me.

"Just for one day. Make sure you don't touch anything," Yoongi warned me.

I shook my head in excitement and almost hugged Yoongi but froze when I came back to my senses quickly. I held the keys in my hand tightly and placed my cup down on the dressing table. I rushed out of the room and walked towards the basement room but froze my way there. I saw Yoongi's brother standing in front of the door and trying to check if the door was open.

"Hey, what are you doing there?" I took the courage to ask him.

He looked at me in shock, but he managed to smile at me to cover up his shocked facial reaction.

"Ah-I did not know this room is-is-ah-is locked?" Yoongi's brother replied with a stammer.

I smiled and turned away pretended to walk down the stairs till he went into his room and closed the door. Then I ran back up and took the key for that basement that Yoongi gave me before. I unlocked the door and closed the door slowly behind me and locked it from inside. I walked down the stairs bravely in that darkness and switched on the light for that basement. I walked over to the photo again and looked at the woman in the red dress. Suddenly, I heard someone was trying to enter the basement. I knew I locked the basement door before I reached the ground, but this person was unlocking the door from the outside.

"How many spare keys do Yoongi have for this room?" I whispered to myself.

I quickly hid behind some of the old boxes that were filled with other old things in them. The place was dusty, and I almost gave my hiding place out to them by sneezing. I peeped in between the huge boxes and I saw Yoongi's brother and his girlfriend. I was shocked at how he too must have the keys for this basement. Just then, I heard them talking, but I couldn't hear much. So leaned in front a little to get clearer audio on their conversation.

"Guess I forgot to switch off the light when I came back up," Yoongi's brother sighed.

"Yoongi doesn't have the keys to this room and wouldn't know if we still have the keys to this room, right?" she asked him curiously.

"He doesn't know. Don't worry, sweetheart," he smiled.

"How would she know Ashley's name without even Yoongi telling her anything?" the girlfriend asked him.

"Maybe she just wanted Yoongi's attention. Since young, I knew her. She is an attention seeker," he replied.

I clenched my teeth ready to punch him on his nose and make it bleed badly for saying I am an attention seeker. For all I know, his girlfriend is a gold digger and has no rights talking about Yoongi or me.

"I don't think she was craving for his attention. For all I know, she hates him because he threatened to kill her parents," she said as she walked around.

"I will come up with something to get rid of her, okay honey. Her weakness is Yoongi, so I will use him to get rid of her," he replied.

"Brilliant!" she was excited.

"Now, we have to gain my younger brother's trust first before hers if we want this house and clear all the evidence," Yoongi's brother said.

"Evidence?" I said under my breath softly.

What evidence are they talking about? Ashley? I thought she died due to an accident. Just then, Yoongi's brother opened a safe on the wall under the huge picture and took out a gun. My heart was rising fast, and I started to shiver again. I was sweating nervously like a pig worrying about what would happen next. Yoongi's brother pulled out a jewelry box and opened it.

"Isn't it magnificent?" the girlfriend asked him as she looked at the chain.

"Ashley would have been alive if she had given this to me without putting up a fight," Yoongi's brother said casually.

I gasped at the fact that these two killed Ashley Green for this necklace and tried to make it like an accident. I wondered how did they make it look like an accident and convinced the police that Ashley killed herself instead? I knew I had to get back to Yoongi to clear my doubts and to make sure he is safe and alive. I saw Yoongi's brother place back the necklace in the box and back into the safe. He then carefully pulled back the picture in place making it look like nothing unusual was behind that picture on that wall.

They both walked up the stairs and switched off the lights. I came out from my hiding place nervously as soon as I heard them lock the door behind them. I was pretty shaken by everything that I have gathered so far. Yoongi's brother was willing to murder again if anyone gets in his way, even if it was his younger brother.