Chapter 42: The Betrayer

"Housework is left unfinished, I have not showered," I could hear the voices would in my head that kept me awake all night.

I blinked open my eyes. I couldn't see anything in the darkness other than the dull illumination of the bedside clock and the indistinct shadow of the lamp next to it. I stumbled to the bathroom, half-asleep, fumbling with the covers. I viewed my reflection in the mirror after emptying my bladder and flushing the toilet. The long, drawn-in face was almost unrecognizable due to the haunted eyes and dark circles beneath them. I waved my hand and received a similar wave. I sighed, relieved that I was still myself.

A dozen needles danced across the top of my head. I looked in the cabinet over the sink but only found a few small bars of soap. Right, I was back home!

Dewdrops rolled along with dandelion and clover dreams, spilling a sliver of translucent sunlight. Hatch daybreak that is no longer moist in a golden squeak. The pleasant sounds seemed to flow in the sky, rolling on the green waves and running, while some unknown birds stood on the swaying stalks, swaying their heads, shaking their wings, vying to show off the moving voices.

The sound lingers in the fresh, moist air, a small sound like a light breeze blowing. The powder is swaying, and the golden lotus leaves are just peeking out from between the petals. Many red wings and blue-headed owls are on the scent, which is overwhelming. Feifei paused and paused, never wanting to leave. 

I walked across the room, shaking the water off my hands, but came to a halt in the midst. I started to have a strange feeling in my stomach. Something was wrong in the room, but I couldn't figure out what it was. The atmosphere was dense and strange, though apparently invisible to my eyes as if I had entered a house with the gas stove turned on. 

I suddenly grasped what had happened, Rachel had left the room.

I switched on the light and took a look around. Her pocketbook, her clothes, and all of her belongings remained. Except for her shoes, that is.

My heart began to race at a faster and faster rate. I looked at my wristwatch. It's nearly midnight. What may she have been doing at this point? I shifted my gaze to the window. The leaves were still rustling against the ground as the trees swayed in the breeze. I hurried downstairs after quickly putting on my jacket and shoes. 

My stomach churned with anxiety. My heart was pounding so loudly that I was certain everyone could hear it. There was just one question that came to mind. What did I do to earn such a fate? The water seemed peaceful in my logical mind, but my imagination was running wild with rough waves crashing fiercely against the shoreline. Furthermore, with so many mountains all around me, I felt cornered and trapped, with nowhere to go. A familiar voice jolted me out of my trance.

"Babe! What are you doing here?" Ashley asked me as she approached me in shock.

I looked up and saw the coffee shop that she was working in and sighed. I looked around for Rachel again but it was all in vain. 

"Rachel-I am looking for her," I stammered in shock.

"What? Rachel? She is at work now. Babe, you look terrible. Come in for a cup of coffee or your favorite hot chocolate topped with marshmallows," Ashely suggested as she pulled my hand into her shop. 

"No, I need to go! I need to find Rachel. Help me, Ash," I pleaded almost giving up.

"Okay, just a moment but you have to tell me what is going on with you," Ashley replied.

"I promise you, Ash! I will tell you everything since I find Rachel," I promised Ashley.

I saw Ashley speaking with her boss in the coffee shop and heading out immediately. I grabbed her hand and started walking towards the intersection ahead of us. I didn't know where I was going but the voices in my head were directing me to the desired destination. When we reached the national reserve forest, I looked back at Ashely who was already confused and gasping for air. 

"Call Rachel and tell her to come," I said.

"Wait, tell her to come here? Why here?" Ashely was confused.

"Just call her, will you?" I replied in annoyance. 

Ashley took out her phone and called Rachel and immediately asked her to come to the reserved forest fast. I looked around for us to enter the forest but I couldn't find any. I walked around the fencing and noticed there was a way into the forest and I quickly grabbed Ashley's arm. 

"This is illegal," Ashley said as she followed me from the back.

Suddenly, unseen powers were pursuing us. The horror on our faces conveyed the danger of our pursuers, despite the fact that they are never seen. We ran and ran, only pausing to gather our breath before resuming our sprint. Every time we came to a halt, it is only for a brief moment, as the drums become increasingly louder with each break we took. Finally, we were able to conceal ourselves, and our pursuers' drums fade away. Our relief was fleeting, though, as we discovered that we have no idea where we were or how to get out. We stood up and took a glance around, seeds of terror growing in our heart.

"What the hell was that?" Ashely gasped for air.

"The shadows! It followed me through the portal. We need Rachel now!" I panicked.

"What shadows? What are you talking about?" Ashely was confused.

"At the end of this forest, there is a portal to another realm. Yoongi is stuck there and he needs my help," I looked around the forest making sure the shadows were gone.

"Another realm?" Ashely sounded confused again.

"Let me show you," I grabbed Ashley's hand again and ran.

"Wait, what about Rachel?" Ashely asked as she followed me frantically.

"She knows the place. She will find us," I confidently said as I pulled Ashely through the woods.

Coming to the end of the forest, I halted my steps and touched the two huge bricks that were standing majestically in front of us. 

"The portal is closed. How is this-Rachel! She is in there!" I gasped in shock.

"Where is Rachel now? What is this portal that you are saying?" Ashely was genuinely confused.

"I should be asking you that, Ash. Who did you talk to just a while ago?" I sneered at Ashely.

"Her boyfriend. He said she left her phone in the house and would be back late," Ashely admitted.

"I can't believe that Rach would do this. She knew about the portal but remained silent about it," I was hurt.

"Look, whatever it is, you are just going insane. Day by day!" Ashely couldn't take it anymore with my crazy talks.

I looked at Ashley in shock and bit my inner cheeks, controlling my anger. I wanted to show Ashely that there was a portal right at the spot where they were standing. Just then, the two majestic bricks glowed red and a portal was created. Ashely gasped in shock seeing what was in front of her.

"Not so crazy, am I, Ash?" I smirked at Ashely.

I quickly walked into the portal and looked at Ashley. I stopped Ashely from entering the portal as I wanted her to be safe. I didn't want her to face any trouble while I search for Rachel in that realm. The portal door closes and I saw Ashely standing there in shock as she had her hands on her mouth trying not to scream. Now, I have to find Rachel and the missing stone that the voices in my head had been whispering to me all day. The missing stone is said to bring Yoongi back to his realm safely and I would go to an extent to make sure I find that stone.