✨ 3 ✨

🍁 Eight Years Later 🍁

MAYA

I had never been more grateful for courier shipping in my life as I struggled with my one suitcase and backpack through the crowded airport. I probably should have shipped those too prior to my trip so I as to prevent all the unnecessary struggle. But oh no, I had been stubborn and retained a few things to take with me only they weren't so few as I'd learned while packing. I stopped for a second to catch my breath before continuing with my short journey across the airport.

Being back in Ohio after eight years away was strange. I felt like an outsider, and in some way I was but I was born in the US, making me a citizen but it still felt like I had left my home back in Nigeria and I was treading on foreign land. A lot had changed in eight years, in all aspects but I hoped that me moving back would be cause for a positive change in my life. God knew that after all I had been through, I did need the positive change.

Being back in Ohio also meant that I'd get to see him, that's if his family hadn't moved away. I really hoped they hadn't moved away because I was really looking forward to seeing him again after eight years away. He probably hated me for leaving without saying goodbye but I would explain myself and all would be good between us. I would get my best friend back. He was one of the reasons, if not the main reason why I'd agreed to move back to Ohio. I just hoped that we could fix things so that my move back wouldn't be a total bust.

I had been too lost in my thoughts to realize that I'd actually made it across the airport and towards the entrance. My aunt was supposed to be picking me up from the airport but there was no sign of her. I was about to reach for the new iPhone that she had bought me when I heard a very excited and familiar scream. I smiled and turned towards where the voice came from. I ditched my suitcase just in time to catch my cousin Violet as she launched herself at me. We both fell to the floor, laughing and crying. I hadn't seen her since my mom's burial a year back so I'd really missed her. Our encounter attracted quite the attention but we ignored them all.

"Bitch, welcome back to Ohio

"Bitch, welcome back to Ohio. I've missed you."She cried getting up and helping me up too.

"I missed you too, Vee and thank you. Are you here alone? Where's Aunt Gloria and Uncle Ted?"I asked looking around but not seeing them anywhere.

"Waiting in the car, Mama G refused to pay for parking so we better hurry."Violet explained helping me with my suitcase.

"Of course she did."I laughed and looped my arm around Violet's letting her lead me out of the airport.

We got a lot of strange looks probably from the difference in our skin tone so I had to hold Violet's hand to stop her from flipping everyone off.

"People should learn to mind their own business. It's like they've never seen a black queen with a white goddess before."Violet yelled a little too loudly so everyone around could hear us.