✨ 30 ✨

ELIJAH

"Are you sure you are going to be ready by then?"I asked Ivy as I helped her haul some groceries into the house.

"Eli, we have all day to prepare. Don't worry, your princess will have her ball."Ivy replied with a smirk.

"Don't get smart with me Ivy, I'm serious. Today is the first birthday we'll be celebrating together since I we were ten and I want it to be perfect."I informed her.

"And it will be, everyone will dropping by over the course of the day to help out. You on the other hand should be going to school, you're already late."Ivy assured me.

"Shit, you're right! Okay see you later. Remember, perfect."I reminded her.

"I know, byee."She said dismissively.

I picked up my bag, a bouquet of red roses, kissed my sisters cheek goodbye and ran out of the house. I quickly got into my car and drove as fast as I could but within the speed limit to get to school. I eyed the roses sitting perfectly on the passengers side and smiled. It was Maya's eighteenth birthday and with the help of my sisters I was planning a surprise party for her later at our house. From Maya's letters I knew for a fact that she had never celebrated her birthday with friends and family or even gotten a party. I hadn't either but mine had been a choice. For Maya having a party hadn't even been an option. She was back now and I was planning on giving her the best birthday party ever.

Luckily enough it was on a Friday so we could party for as long as we wanted without caring about school the next morning. Maya and I couldn't go too crazy because we had other plans the following day. In keeping up and reviving our childhood tradition, Maya and I would be visiting the aquarium the very next day just like we used to do when we were kids.

I arrived at school just minutes before the warning bell but I missed the group meet up that happened everyday before class. I parked my car and walked inside the school with the roses in hand and my backpack over my shoulder. Maya wasn't by her locker but we had the first class together. I walked in class to find her at her usual seat for Friday morning lesson her eyes trained to the door. She smiled when she saw me, a relieved smile as if she had been waiting for me.

I took my seat next to her, handing her the roses"Happy birthday little elf."

"Thank you Joey."She replied taking the flowers from me and smelling them.

"I love these, they are beautiful."She thanked me.

"Not as beautiful as you."I replied making her blush.

She looked so cute when she did that.

"Are you still going to dinner with your family after school?"I asked her changing topics.

"Yeah but I thought you were coming too?"She answered looking confused.

"I said I'd think about it and unfortunately I can't make it little elf, I'm sorry."I apologized.

She looked disappointed which I had expected but I had bigger plans for her that I wouldn't be able to accomplish if I joined her family for dinner.

"Don't pout shortie, you and I can hang out afterwards, I promise. Have Violet drop you off at our place after dinner. I want to give you my gift in private."I requested her.

"Okay."She smiled hope sparking back in her eyes.

God she was beautiful, literally the most beautiful girl I had ever laid my eyes on and she was my best friend and hopefully soon to be more.

Maya and I had been spending a lot of time together and the more I was with her, the more my feelings for her grew. Seeing her always made my day, I could be myself around her and she always listened to me. Sometimes we could just be seated next to each other, not even touching or saying a word and I would be the happiest person in the world. Maya was my girl, always had been from the moment we met in kindergarten and she talked my ear off. We were already a couple but that was childish and didn't have much basis that's why I wanted to do it all over again. I wanted to make Maya mine officially for the whole world to know. And what better day to ask her that her birthday just like she had asked me to be her boyfriend eight years ago on my birthday.