✨ 34 ✨

ELIJAH

It was peacefully quiet, just the two of us in each others arms as we looked up at the blank night sky. There weren't any stars which was fine, it's not like we needed them that desperately anyway. The only sound we could hear was our heartbeats beating in sync with each other as one. There was also some distant drum beats but I had to tune those out as they were ruining the moment.

"You know we shouldn't be here. You have a game in thirty minutes."Maya expressed trying to be the voice of reason.

"I know but coach wouldn't stop screaming at me and I had to leave before I screamed back or worse, hit him."I replied running a frustrated hand over my face.

"I've never seen you like this, you've been stressed all week. What's wrong?"Maya asked me supporting her head on her hands so she could look at me.

I was lying on my back on the concrete while she was lying on my chest because I refused to let her lie to the dirty ground next to me. She looked too cute for me to mess up her outfit like that.

"The coach thinks I've lost my niche."I replied honestly hoping that talking to her would help me.

"What do you mean?"She inquired her face scrunched up in confusion.

She looked so cute when she did that but it also made her face get wrinkles so I ran my fingers over her forehead to get rid of them. She smiled when I did that and they disappeared.

"I joined football as an outlet for my anger. It's also the only reason I used to spar with Jessica in the first place. Now I don't have a reason to be angry anymore and that's pissing coach off."I explained to her.

"You were angry at me but now you aren't anymore because we've fixed things so it's messing with your game."Maya commented.

"Yeah I know it sounds stupid."I laughed looking away from her.

"No it doesn't, we all cope with loss in different ways. I used to write letters to you while you broke bones and smashed through people."She replied making me laugh.

"When you put it that way, it makes me feel all better."I said with an eye roll.

"You are a good football player, anger or not and I'm sure you can find something else besides rage to fuel you intro playing well."Maya encouraged me.

She was echoing Wade's words from a few weeks back but I didn't know what to do about that. I didn't have anything extra to motivate me. It had always been anger and I was finding it difficult to find something else.

"Give me something because I can't seem to find it myself."I requested her.

Maya got lost in thought for a few minutes as she looked for a way to help me. I did need her help that's why I had called her immediately after storming out of the locker room.

We were currently in the school's roof garden hidden behind some tomatoes. It's not like anyone would look for us there.

"How about this? If you win this game you and I can have a pajama party, just the two of us."Maya proposed.

"But I don't own any pajamas and you only sleep in baggy t-shirts."I pointed out.

"I know."Maya grinned a mischievous look gracing her face.

"Maya you and I are not ready to have sex just yet. We've only been dating for two months."I reasoned with her.

"Who said anything about sex? It's a pajama party."Maya defended.

"Where both of us will be half naked. It's like tempting fate."I argued.

"Fine then don't take up my offer. You can lose the game if you want but when I go home later tonight after the game I'll be too tired to change so I'll just strip off everything except for the jersey and sleep in it."Maya replied.