✨ 1 ✨

MAYA

"First day of kindergarten! I'm so excited."Mom squealed as she fixed my afro.

I stared back at her in the mirror unable to hide my anxiety and join her in all the excitement. Maybe she should have been going to kindergarten instead of me.

"Oh baby, what's wrong?"Mom asked in her soothing voice turning me around to face her.

I shrugged in response, looking down at my feet.

"Pick your head up queen, your crown is falling."She said lifting my chin up to meet her gaze.

"I know you're scared and its okay to feel like that but you can't let it show my love. Look up, smile, be strong and be kind. That's all you need to know about your first day of kindergarten."She advised giving me a reassuring smile.

I couldn't hold mine in so I smiled back and leaned in for a much needed hug.

"Now who is my beautiful strong princess?"She asked rubbing my back comfortingly.

"Me."I mumbled my voice muffled by her neck.

"I didn't hear you."She retorted.

"I am."I said a little louder pulling back.

"That's right, you are. You'll be okay sweetheart, just remember ...." She trailed off leaving the statement incomplete for me to finish.

"Look up, smile, be strong and be kind."I completed earning me a proud smile from my mom.

"Good job baby, now let's go. We don't want you being late for school."My mom said getting off her knees.

She took my hand and led me through our house towards the kitchen where my dad was drinking coffee as he read the newspaper. He always did that each morning before work. Dad looked up when he heard my mom and me, his face lighting up with a smile.

My mom was a loud, eccentric, jack of all trades who loved her family more than anything in the world. She was short with beautiful dark skin, short hair and big brown eyes like mine. My dad on the other hand was tall, dark, macho, quiet and very protective of my mom and I. My parents loved each other so much that it was sometimes gross to watch them together.

"Good morning papa."I greeted walking towards him.

He lifted me up and put me on his lap.

"Good morning sweetheart, excited for your first day?"My dad asked but I didn't reply.

"She's a little nervous but we talked and she'll be okay."Mom replied on my behalf.

"If anyone gives you trouble just punch them like I taught you, thumb over fist."My dad advised folding my hand into a fist.

"Yes papa."I replied smiling.

"Oh no, there will be no punching people. Maya beating people up is not okay, stop teaching her that Emeka."My mom scolded hitting my dad with a kitchen towel.

My dad just laughed and winked at me making me giggle.

"Breakfast time."My mom announced clapping excitedly.

My dad kissed my temple before putting me on the stool next to him. We had pancakes, eggs, bacon and orange juice for breakfast.

"Picture time."My mom announced excitedly as soon as we were done.

My dad and I shared a look but didn't dare say another word.

My mom handed me a small black board written "first day of kindergarten" and put me in a hundred different positions. After she'd had enough photos of me, then all of us together she grabbed my backpack and a packed lunch box.