✨ 41 ✨

ELIJAH

I looked at myself on the mirror as I tucked in my shirt and didn't recognize the person staring back at me. My eyes were cold and dead, my shoulders hunched in defeat, skin paler than ever and hair longer than its ever been falling over my face. I put on a pair of dark sunglasses to hide my face from myself and everyone else but it didn't erase the feeling in my heart.

Oma had passed on and we were burying her in an hour. She had demanded to be buried next to her husband so we had her body cremated and had flown her ashes to Norway to say goodbye. It was easier than shipping a whole coffin. We'd held a church memorial service for her back in Ohio since that's where her whole life was so only my family had flown to Norway for the final goodbyes.

I didn't like funerals, they were too sad and foreboding but grandma deserved a proper farewell with her whole family present so I couldn't have missed it.

"Eli are you ready?"Tamara asked popping her head into my room.

We were all staying at a small inn in Geiranger, my grandma's hometown and I was lucky enough to get my own room.

"Yeah just about."I replied picking up my black trench coat and shrugging it on.

Giving myself one last look in the mirror to make sure I was presentable I left the room with Tamara by my side.

"There's something you need to know before we get downstairs."She informed me looking at me skeptically.

Before I could ask Tamara what she was talking about I felt her before I even heard her laughing downstairs.

"Maya is here."I commented pausing at the top of the stairs.

"Yeah she just arrived this morning. I know you two still have issues between you but she's family too and she's here to say goodbye just like we are."Tamara informed me.

She was right Maya was family but it didn't make it any easier for me to accept her presence. Maya had been at the memorial service back home together with her whole family but I hadn't expected her to fly all the way to Norway to pay her final respects. She had been the last person Oma had asked to see before she passed. I was glad she had gotten to say her goodbye because Oma was her grandma too since we had grown up together.

"It's fine."I sighed resuming my walk back down the stairs.

I braced myself before revealing myself to the whole family that was gathered downstairs ready to head out. Maya was already looking at me and since I didn't want to be rude in front of everyone, I acknowledged her with a nod of my head. She smiled sadly at me and I could tell she wanted to talk to me but she was holding back.

It had been two weeks since we broke up and my heart was still aching as if it was just yesterday. I needed Maya, I knew we could help each other through our loss but I was still skeptical about our relationship so I was keeping my distance.

"Okay everyone, time to head out. No more than four people in each car, there's than enough space for everyone."My dad instructed as we started to file out of the house.

We'd only arrived the day before and would be leaving early the next morning. It was Mid December so the weather was extremely cold and the countryside was covered in a thin layer of snow everywhere. It made the place have a magical look to it but I didn't have it in me to enjoy the scenery.

Geiranger was beautiful just like the whole country of Norway especially during Christmas season. I'd been to Norway a few times in the past but never in December so I was experiencing something new. We were all bundled up in coats, scarves and caps to keep up with the cold weather.