✨ 7 ✨

MAYA

I stood in front of the mirror admiring my outfit choice for my first day of school. I didn't actually chose my outfit, Violet did but I had approved it. In as much as Violet had dragged me shopping with her she had let me follow my own sense of fashion with a few improvements from her that I liked.

I was wearing a black tank top tucked into a back skater skirt that reached mid thigh, knee length socks, a fitting leather jacket and a pair of Dr Marten boots.

It felt like the first day of kindergarten all over again, only everything was different now. My mom wasn't with me to help me tame my hair or kiss me on the forehead to assure me that everything would be okay. I didn't have a dad in the kitchen sipping coffee as he read the newspaper while waiting to drive me to school. I was all alone. I pulled my necklace to my lips holding it tightly in my hand for strength.

"Mama, papa, I'm so scared. Please be with me, I need all the help I can get."I whispered tearing up a little bit.

I missed my parents ever single day but they were happier together in heaven.

Just as I was about to leave my room there was a slight knock on the door. I quickly wiped off my tears just before my aunt let herself into my room.

"Good morning Ada, just dropped by to check up on you. Do you have everything ready for your first day?"She asked kindly.

"Good morning auntie and yes thank you. I'm good."I assured her.

She nodded politely and turned to leave but I stopped her.

"But could you please help me with my hair."I requested her politely.

I didn't really need help but my aunt needed to feel wanted. She was my only guardian and even though I was pretty responsible and used to being on my own, I had to learn to rely on her for some things. My hair was a good place to start.

"Of course."She beamed happily walking back in.

She asked me to take a seat in front of the mirror and began working on my hair. As she tied my long dreadlocks in a half up, half down style, she told me tales about her and my parents when they were younger. I laughed the whole time and by the time she was done I was already feeling so much better.

"There, all done, now remember Look up, smile, be strong and be kind."She said recalling my mom's favorite quote.

I smiled blinking away bittersweet tears. She kissed my forehead and left me alone to compose myself. I didn't have my mom and dad but I at least had my aunt and her amazing family.

Five minutes later I joined the family in the dining room for breakfast, my new black leather bookbag thrown over my shoulder.

To no surprise Violet and I were dressed the same except she had black stockings instead of socks and ankle length heeled stiletto boots.

"Look at that, we're twinning."She gleamed faking surprise.

"I'm choosing my own outfits from tomorrow."I informed her.

She pouted and was about to fight me on it but I shoved a slice of toast into her mouth before she could. She glared at me as she chewed angrily but at least she was silent. I said hello to my uncle and nephews as I served myself a plate of breakfast from the different assortment of foods laid out. My aunt was a housewife so she actually liked doing everything for herself that's why the huge mansion didn't have any help except for the poolboy and the who came in twice a week.

"Sweetie are you sure you'll be okay going to school all on your own? I'm happy to take you for your first day."My aunt offered me.

"I'll be okay aunt and besides I have Violet there incase of anything."I reassured her.