✨ 4 ✨

MAYA

"Vee I think that's enough clothes. Can we go home now? I'm exhausted."I begged my over excited cousin.

Violet had indeed made good on her promise by giving me the best week ever. We had been all over the city sightseeing and shopping. I liked the sightseeing part but not the shopping part so much. Violet however was the exact opposite, the girl really could shop.

I had new shoes, clothes, bags, make up that I would probably never use and too many accessories. Honestly I was living every girls dream but to me it was a bit too much. Violet didn't seem to agree as she dragged me to every clothing store we came across and we never left empty handed.

I had made the mistake of letting violet know that I was thinking of joining the track team at school if I made the cut and she had gone above and beyond to get me everything a pro athlete would need. I hadn't even made the team yet and I already had a way too expensive fitness tracker, six pairs of running shoes, too many sports bras, headbands, pants and shorts. I was really grateful for everything Violet was doing for me but the girl really needed to stop before I passed out.

"Nonsense a girl can never have too many clothes and besides we need to find you a cute dress to wear tonight to the party."She informed me taking me by surprise.

I wasn't aware there was any party. And even if there were I wasn't going, I didn't do parties.

"What party? I don't want to go to a party."I rejected her quickly but she didn't want to hear it.

"Too bad, you're coming anyway. I want you to meet everyone. It's the last party of the summer before school on Monday."Violet explained.

"Vee I really don't want to go to a party."I whined hoping she'd hear the desperation in my voice.

"I know my love, I know but please come to this one with me. I'll be at your side all night and if you don't enjoy it I promise to never ask you to another party again."She bargained.

I knew she was lying but it was also hard saying no to her. Especially when she gave me the cute puppy eyes, her blue orbs watering. She was manipulating me and it worked.

"Okay fine, I'll come."I gave in.

I honestly didn't want to but it looked like I was going to a high school party.

"I might have agreed but your dad and auntie never will."I reminded her.

I was counting on their rejection now as my saving grace.

"Yes they will, leave them to me. Now let's go get you a cute dress."Violet assured me pulling me towards the next store.

I didn't like how sure she sounded of herself but I hoped my aunt and uncle would be able to resist her charms.

I have no idea what store we went into next but everything looked so expensive and I felt out of place. Violet immediately started browsing while I followed behind her carrying all the dresses she was shoving into my arms. People kept looking at me weird but I'd had people looking at me weird all day so it was nothing new. I was not the kind of black they were used to seeing around. Most African Americans were diluted, sorry to say, but I was all pure melanin with coal dark skin that glowed, Violets words not mine.

"Don't mind them, they are just jealous."Violet assured me linking her arm with mine and leading me to the changing room.

"I don't think that's why they are staring. They probably think I'm here to steal or something."I shrugged.

"Well let them think what they want, it's all sticks and stones love. Now get in there and model. Don't you dare leave that room without having chosen a dress for tonight."She declared shoving me into a changing room after grabbing her own clothes.