✨ 20 ✨

MAYA

"You Americans and your stupid traditions."I cussed as I got out of Violets car.

"You've been saying that each morning and I would like to point out once again that you are an American. You were born here."Violet retorted.

"Not this week I'm not. I'm a proud Nigerian. An Igbo queen of you must."I replied with a grin.

"Whatever you say your Highness but no matter how many times you complain we have to follow school rules."Violet reminded me.

"I know, argh, I know."I cried.

The reason I was so prissy is because it was Spirit week. A whole week where the whole school looked like it was on crack. We had different dress code themes for each day of the week and everyone seemed to enjoy it, besides me of course. It's like Halloween just without all the gore and instead of being just one day, it was a whole week.

Monday it had been pajama day and the school forgot to include that pajamas must be decent in the memo. We saw more than we needed to see on that day if you know what I mean. But at least everyone loved the fact that they didn't have to dress up for school, Monday blues and all.

Tuesday had been future day where everyone got dressed in outfits that showed the careers they wanted to pursue later in life. I had no idea what I wanted to be later in life so I'd just dressed in my track uniform and carried the American flag around saying I wanted to be an Olympian and it worked. Violet had been in pink scrubs because she wanted to be a pediatrician.

Wednesday had been cartoon day where we all got dressed as our favorite cartoon characters as kids. I'd gone as Tiana from the princess and the frog while Violet was Rapunzel and bought a very long weave that she had to toss out in the middle of the day because it was too hot.

It was Thursday so it was Vs day where we had to dress either as Marvel Characters or DC characters. Marvel vs Dc, get it. I was dressed as Shuri from black Panther and Violet was Black widow. We were team marvel.

"We spent all this money on stupid costumes that we only get to wear for a day."I lamented once again.

"They are rentals, we'll take them back, now quit complaining and tugging at your suit."Violet scolded.

"It's too tight."I cried.

"It's cute. You look good, now stop."Violet demanded.

I grunted at her but listened nonetheless and stopped tugging at the black leather suit I was wearing.

Everyone in the school was dressed as a superhero, it looked like a comic con convention.

We finally got to put friends and they were all team Marvel too. Wade was Captain America, Finn was Iron Man, Jace went as spiderman, Wendy was Valkyrie, Suzanne was Captain Marvel and Olive was Scarlet Witch.

"Seeing you in that Shuri costume makes me wish I'd gone as black panther."Finn commented eyeing me up and down.

"That would be absurd because you are not black and besides Shuri and T'challa were siblings."Violet pointed out.

"They were? So who did Shuri end up with?"Finn asked.

"No one, read the comics or watch the movies. Maybe you should have been team DC."Violet retorted once again.

Their argument was baseless in the first place but I didn't want to get in the middle of it. I was looking for a certain someone but he hadn't arrived yet.

The football team had won their away game and come back Sunday afternoon very excited. I hadn't talked to Elijah or attempted to get close to him ever since they came back. I needed space from him to decide whether he was worth pursuing for forgiveness or if our relationship was a lost cause. He didn't try to talk talk to me either and just left me alone. We basically stayed out of each others way unless we had to be close because of our friends.