✨ 13 ✨

MAYA

I walked out of the bathroom in only a towel, with a shower cap over my hair only to find Violet on my bed scrolling through her phone.

"There's a reason why people knock before entering a room you know. What if I was naked?"I asked.

"Nothing I haven't seen before."She replied with a grin and I rolled my eyes at her.

I left her on the bed and entered my closet making sure to properly lock the door this time. After carefully drying myself I made sure to properly moisturize before getting dressed. I put on a black bra, a matching pair of boy shorts before finally standing in front of my closet deciding on something to wear. What was one supposed to wear to dinner with her ex best friends family?

"Maya what's taking you so long?"Violet asked from the bedroom.

I ignored her and a minute later the lock jiggled when she tried to get in but she found the door locked.

"Maya open up. Sisters don't lock doors on each other."She grumbled jiggling the lock some more.

"I'll be out in a few, be patient."I demanded.

I heard her huff then walk away. I looked at my selection of dresses one more time and finally decided on an green ankara dress with puffy sleeves. It was one of the dresses I'd brought with me from Nigeria. It had a tight upper bodice then flowed into a skater design from the waist down and reached the top of my knees.

Elijah's family was full of giants and with my short frame, I didn't want to feel out of place so I wore a pair of blank heeled ankle boots to boost my height. I removed the shower cap and let my dreadlocks fall free to my waist pinning them back on both sides away from my face. I finally grabbed a purse with a few lady essentials and left the closet.

Violet's eyes widened as soon as she saw me. She immediately dropped her phone to gawk at me.

"Why are you dressed up looking all cute and respectful?"She asked me getting off the bed.

"I have dinner plans tonight."I replied.

I hadn't told her about going to the Olsen's for dinner.

"With who? I thought we had plans?"She questioned.

"What plans? I wasn't aware we had any plans"I retorted.

"Well I've yet to come up with something but here you are dressed up about to go to a dinner you didn't tell me about or invite me to."She pouted.

"It was a single invitation."I said putting my phone and some cash in my purse.

"It's a date? Wait, you have a date and you didn't tell me."She scolded.

"No it's not a date."I replied with an eye roll walking out of my room with her hot on my heels.

"Then where are you going to dinner and why can't I come with you."She whined.

I entered the kitchen where my aunt was busy wrapping up some dish. She looked up as soon as she saw us and smiled.

"You look beautiful darling, are you ready to leave?"She asked me.

"Thank you auntie and yes I am."I replied.

"You told mama G and didn't tell me. How long have you two been making plans behind my back?"Violet asked.

"No one made plans behind your back."Aunt Gloria replied on my behalf.

"Then why am I only hearing about this right now?"Violet asked.