✨ 9 ✨

MAYA

"Are you sure you're okay?"Violet asked as she drove us home from school later that day.

"Yes I'm fine."I assured her for the umpteenth time.

She had been fussing over me ever since I ran into Elijah. She was just being concerned but I was really okay except for a sore forehead that wasn't throbbing anymore.

"Good so you finally met Elijah huh, what did you think of him?"Maya asked and I frowned.

I had a lot of thoughts about him and they were all confusing but the one that kept haunting me was the hateful look he got when he confirmed my identity. I didn't want Elijah to hate me but I also understood why he did. He hadn't even spared me a second glance when he knew it was me. But I wasn't going to despair, I had to fix things.

"He's tall."I mumbled remembering I had yet to reply Violets question.

"Of course he's freaking tall, the dude is 6'8 but is that all you noticed?"Violet asked fishing for more.

"Well between trying not to break my nose and him running off I didn't see much."I replied a little bit too defensively.

Violet was butting her nose in my business and I wasn't exactly comfortable with that. I didn't know if I was ready to open up to her yet about my history with Elijah.

"Well yeah you're right but I thought I saw you guys have a moment. Like the one in the movies where the guy and the girl run into each other and when they look into each others eyes for the first time they fall in love."Violet gushed.

She couldn't have been more wrong about what happened. We didn't fall in love, quite the opposite since I realized just how much Elijah hated me.

"Definitely didn't happen."I mumbled sadly.

"Too bad, you guys would make a cute couple. Sure he's a giraffe and you're a gazelle but it would work."Violet added.

I rolled my eyes at her weird comparison and didn't bother replying. She was already shipping us yet we were barely friends. I couldn't even think of Elijah like that until I'd fixed our friendship. He was handsome no doubt but thinking that was would only confuse me. I had to deal with one thing at a time.

Violet got us home and thankfully neither my aunt nor uncle were there otherwise they would have fussed over me too much. I grabbed an ice pack from the freezer before running to my room to take a shower and start up on my assignments. It was only our first day but we already had a butt load of work. It also helped to distract me from my current dilemma with Elijah. I needed to fix things with him but I had no idea how to do it.

Later that night after dinner my aunt came into my room to talk to me.

"Congratulations again about making the track team sweetheart."She said taking a seat at the foot of my bed.

I'd made the announcement at dinner and everyone was happy for me. I loved running and now that I was part of the team it would help me during my college applications.

"Thanks aunt."I smiled gratefully.

"I know you swore her to secrecy and it took me a lot to get her to talk but Violet told me all about why you two were exchanging weird glances during dinner. Why didn't you tell me about running into Elijah?"My aunt asked and I groaned.

What was the use of swearing to secrecy if you couldn't keep your mouth shut? Violet had betrayed our bond.

"Don't hold it against her, I'm very convincing."My aunt pleaded.