✨ 36 ✨

MAYA

"First track meet ever. Are you nervous?"Aunt Gloria asked as she helped me tame my locks.

"Yeah but I've been training really hard, I have a great coach and an amazing team. And besides you guys will be there cheering me on."I replied toying with the necklace on my neck.

I would have loved for my parents to be there with me for my first official race but I knew they would be watching me from heaven cheering me on.

"We'll be the loudest. I'm so proud of you sweetheart and I believe in you and the great things you can and will do."Aunt Gloria said kissing my forehead once she was done with my hair.

It was scary racing in a competition when I'd never done it before but I had all the support I needed. I also knew I was good at running so my skills wouldn't be the problem.

"I'll leave you to finish getting ready. We'll wait for you downstairs."Aunt Gloria said excusing herself.

I wasn't alone for long because a few minutes after aunt Gloria left, Violet came into my room.

"You look cute."Violet complimented leaning against the door.

"Thank you."I replied politely lacing up my orange Nike running shoes.

They were a gift from Aunt Gloria and Uncle Ted

"Do you have a minute to talk before we leave?"Violet asked sounding unsure of herself.

I turned to look at her and noticed the familiar look on her face.

"Not again Vee. I already told you there's nothing to talk about."I groaned already frustrated with her.

We had been going around in circles for weeks and I was tired of talking about the same thing. Ever since Elijah's accident, she had been suspicious that something was up. Of course there was but I wasn't going to tell her anything. The only people who knew were my dead parents, Aunt Gloria and me. I would keep it that way until Elijah knew too.

"Come on May, we tell each other everything. Why are you keeping this from me?"She asked walking further into the room.

"Because it's none of your business Vee. It doesn't involve you so I would really appreciate it if you let it go."I requested politely.

"You know I can't do that. I'm too nosy. It's not like I'll tell anyone, please tell me."She begged

"No!"I gritted out feeling like I was talking to a wall.

It's like I was talking to her but it was going in one ear and coming out the other.

"Please May, the not knowing is killing me. I know there's something big going on between you and Elijah, I just don't know what it is exactly."She enticed.