✨ 14 ✨

MAYA

"Heavenly father I thank you for this meal we are about to share together as a family. Thank you for always taking care of us and bringing us together in love. We also thank you for bringing our little mouse Maya back to us safely after all this years. Amen. Oh and ps, forgive my son for his rudeness, have mercy on his soul and give him a forgiving heart. Amen."Florence prayed and everyone chorused Amen except for Elijah who looked even more pissed than ever.

"Did you have to specifically put me in your prayers?"Elijah complained to his mom.

"Yes because you are behaving like a twat. Now eat your food."Florence responded.

Thankfully it didn't stay awkward for too long. Elijah had dampened the mood a little with his outburst but soon enough it was forgotten as everyone got involved in different conversations. Elijah was still sulking and glaring at me every chance he got but I tried very hard to ignore him no matter how hard it was. We were linked and always would be so I was bound to always feel his presence especially if he was close to me.

"Maya it really is good to see you, last I saw you, you were a sick tiny baby."Florence commented as if she was talking about a toddler.

I hadn't been that small but I wouldn't be able to convince her otherwise.

"I'm all better now."I replied with a smile resisting the urge to add that it was all thanks to Elijah.

"Good, now we just have to feed you and make you bigger. You are too small."Grandma Mabel commented.

"You can try but I think I'm stuck at this size."I said with a smile.

"Oh nonsense, you see all these giants around the table, that's all me and my cooking. Just you wait, some more of my food and you'll become taller with some meat in your body."Grandma insisted.

"Looking forward to it."I agreed even if I knew was impossible.

I would probably never grow bigger than the size I was currently at and I was okay with it. Now everyone else in my life, including my aunt and the Olsen's just had to accept it too.

"How are you doing back at school? I know acclimating back with the American education system after being in Nigeria for eight years must be challenging."Valerie who was an elementary school teacher commented.

"Not so much. my cousin Violet and the guide I got have made my first week easy. Plus all my teammates in the track team are of great help too."I replied.

"Wow, you're in the track team already?"Bernard asked.

"Yeah, I kind of got into running while I was back home and when I arrived, I had to chose an extra curricular activity so I tried for the track team and I got in."I explained.

"That's wonderful Maya."Florence praised looking like a proud mama.

"Thank you."I smiled basking in her praises.

He probably didn't mean for it to be heard but Elijah scoffed. He tried covering it up with a cough but everyone had already heard him. My smile faded because I had no idea what his scoff meant. Was the track team so bad? Or was it just me in general as always?

"Elijah one more sound from you and I am smacking the living crap out of you. Who raised you? I am very disappointed in you."Florence commented and in that moment both Elijah and I were feeling the same thing. Embarrassment.

Me for putting him in trouble and him for getting into trouble and being called out on his rude behavior. He gave me one long glare before turning all his attention to his food. Maybe dinner wasn't such a good idea but I was already there and wouldn't be allowed to leave until it was over so all I could do was suck it up and try to make the best out of it.