✨ 11 ✨

MAYA

"Flowers again, really girl. You're a resilient one aren't you?" Violet asked me as she helped me put another bouquet in Elijah's locker the following morning.

"Yeah."I smiled.

"Didn't he toss the other ones away?"Violet asked me.

It had been painful hearing Elijah reject me with really harsh words and toss away my flowers but that wasn't enough to make me give up. At least he had talked to me and told me how he felt. I wouldn't give up no matter how many times he pushed me away.

"True but maybe he just doesn't like blue roses. That's why went with white today."I grinned.

"Every guy likes blue. Stop deluding yourself, he'll toss this one's away too."She reminded me.

"Then I'll get others."I replied making Violet groan.

"You're hopeless. Just tell me what you did already so I can determine if it's worth suffering for? I won't tell anyone, I promise, sister code and all."She pleaded.

Violet took every chance she could to ask me why I was going through all the pain of apologizing to Elijah for. I knew she could keep a secret but it also felt like telling her would be a betrayal to Elijah as he clearly didn't want anyone to know.

"Please please please."She begged giving me those huge teary eyes.

I caved.

"Okay fine, just stop giving me that look."I demanded.

She grinned and clapped happily waiting for me to tell her. I couldn't give her the whole story so I settled for the simplified version.

"Elijah and I were best friends before I moved back to Nigeria. We left on his tenth birthday and I didn't even say goodbye, no note, no call nothing. I also never called either or wrote for all those years when I lived in Nigeria."I informed her.

Violet was stunned for a second before she actually found the words to talk to me.

"Damn that was cold. No wonder he hates you."She said and I shrugged.

"I know but I will make things right, I have to."I insisted.

"Now that I know the context, I will help you. Elijah won't know what's coming, by the time I'm done you two will be in love and popping out chocolate babies with red hair."She grinned making me laugh.

"Cool your jets lady, I just want my best friend back."I replied.

I hadn't even allowed myself to think about Elijah as more than a friend. Sure the seven foot giant was gorgeous but me and him, nah, could never work. I'd settle for friends, that would be enough for me.

"Yeah that too. Now let's go for practice, we can convene to make plans later."Violet cheered dragging me with her.

It was only the third day of school but all coaches had somehow agreed to make all teams practice for an hour each day before class. That's why it was six thirty in the morning and Violet and I were headed to the gym. I was already used to getting up early for school back in Nigeria so it was no problem for me. Violet on the other hand didn't like it and I'd had to drag her out of bed, literally.

The track season didn't start until November but the coach was making us start training early. I didn't mind because I actually liked running.

"This is going to be a long day and an even longer season."Violet groaned as we got into the changing rooms.

"You like cheerleading so why are you so grumpy?"I asked her.

"Because coach said we all have to cut back on caffeine, you know how much I love my coffee especially the exotic type you brought me. Now I can't have any until the season is over which is next year."She groaned.