✨ 32 ✨

ELIJAH

I was leaving the house for early morning practice when my phone rang. I had no idea who would be calling me so early in the morning but I smiled when I saw Maya's name with her grinning face pop up on my screen.

"Good morning bug."I greeted enthusiastically once I picked up.

"Morning Joey. Have you already left for school?"She asked me.

"Just getting into my car now, why?"I replied unlocking the car.

"Can you pick me up please? Violet isn't feeling well and I have to get to practice."She requested.

"Of course, I'll be there in a few."I replied.

"Thank you, see you soon."She said cutting the call.

I got into the car, put my gym bag and backpack in the backseat before driving off. Coach was making us train extra hard since we had a game in the weekend so I was going to school earlier than usual. Maya had track practice too so our schedules were in sync.

I pulled up in front of their house ten minutes later. I didn't even have to get out of the car because the minute I stopped Maya got out of the house running for the car. She unlocked the passenger side door and got it with two bags in hand. She tossed them in the backseat with mine and turned to me with a bright smile.

"Good morning again."She grinned kissing my cheek.

"Hi bug."I replied driving off.

She put on her seatbelt unzipping the jacket of her track suit in the process.

"What's wrong with Violet?"I asked.

"Period cramps, she'll be okay but will miss practice and most of the morning lessons."Maya explained.

"Do you get cramps when you're on your period?"I inquired.

"No, never have."She replied her voice becoming strange for a second.

"Lucky you, all my sisters used to have synced periods. It was a literal blood bath when they were on their period. Hated every moment of that time."I groaned remembering how much they made my life hell.

"Don't worry, you're safe around me. All I get are mood swings and weird food cravings. Like right now I could really go for chocolate pancakes but I never eat before practice."Maya explained.

"You're on your period right now?"I exclaimed.

"Yeah, Violet and I synced up."She replied calmly.

She didn't look like it at all but she'd just told me that she never felt pain so it was understandable for her to look normal.

"We can go get pancakes."I suggested.

"And miss practice, no way. I'll be fine."She assured me.

Maya being so badass was amazing. She was just giving me more reasons to be in awe of her. I was also happy that she didn't experience period cramps. I knew how bad those were from living with seven sisters. It wasn't something I wished on any girl.

We arrived at school minutes later and I parked in my usual spot. Maya and I got out with our bags and I made sure to lock the car behind me. I walked Maya to the girls locker room after we dropped off our backpacks in our lockers.

"I'll see you at breakfast and if not, for our first class."I said to her as we stopped outside the door.

"Okay, have a great practice. Knock them dead."Maya grinned giving me a thumbs up.