✨ 21 ✨

ELIJAH

I loved and lived for game day. Not because of winning but because of actually getting to play the game. I loved smashing into people to get them out of my teams way that's why I played offensive. I was careful though so I didn't hurt someone too much, just enough to bench them. I was good at being offensive tackle and I loved my role in the team.

"Go bears."Someone yelled at me as I made my way across the school parking lot.

I yelled the same back with a smile getting into the school spirit. The homecoming game was the first biggest awaited game of the season because it brought the whole community together. We already had a win under our belts and we were playing CenterVille Highschool Elks who were in a lower division than us so it was a guaranteed win.

There was a lot to of activity going on in the school since everyone was partaking in one activity or the other in preparation for the big game. I used the entrance reserved for students and staff only for the night to get in. There were students still roaming the halls as they waited for the game. I knew I wasn't late, I had two hours before the game started at seven thirty but they were so many people around.

I ran into Maya and Wendy just as I was about to enter the boys locker room. They were giggling to themselves talking about something I couldn't understand because of the high pitches they were using. They immediately stopped laughing when they saw me.

"Hi Elijah."Wendy greeted while Maya just gave me one of her shy waves.

"Ladies."I replied smoothly tipping my head at them.

"Excited for the game?"Wendy asked trying to make conversation.

"Very."I replied honestly my gaze turning to Maya.

She was trying to look at everything but me which made me a little sad but I shrugged it off nonetheless. She was wearing blue ripped jeans, black boots and a black jacket with her dreadlocks tied back into a neat pony tail. I couldn't see if she had worn my jersey since she had a jacket on but I hoped that she had. Giving it to her and signing it with her childhood nickname for me had been a last minute decision. It was one of my attempts to try and get closer to her without freaking her out. I still wasn't sure where our relationship stood so I was taking my time but still staying close so she wouldn't forget about me.

"That's good, anyway we've got to go but best of luck. We'll be cheering you on from the stands."Wendy added before looping her hand in Maya's and pulling her away.

I was disappointed that Maya hadn't talked to me but I couldn't pressure her to.

I watched them until they disappeared into the corner before making my way into the locker room. Not everyone had arrived so it wasn't as rowdy as expected.

"There's my favorite offensive tackle. Are you ready to break some bones?"Wade asked super excited.

"Yeah I am."I grinned sharing a bro hug with him.

We talked for a few minutes about what to expect during the game then he got called away by the coach leaving me alone.

I walked towards my locker and smiled when I saw what was waiting for me in there. There was a single wrapped pink rose with a note stuck on it. Maya hadn't given me flowers all week so it was a welcome surprise.

I read the card and the hand written note with the familiar writing made me smile wider.

Best of luck tonight. All my love, little mouse.

I read it again and again ten more times before putting it back with the flower and placing them at the back of my locker. I made a mental note to remember to carry it home with me after the game. I had no idea how she had managed to put it in my locker but I was glad she had, it was a very sweet gesture.