✨ 40 ✨

MAYA

I walked out of my room for the first time in three days and it was only because it was Monday and I needed to go to school. I looked and felt like shit but I didn't have the energy to dress up. I was nursing a broken heart and that excused me from trying to be normal for a while.

When I entered the kitchen everyone stared at me in shock as if they had seen a ghost. And they probably had since I hadn't seen any of them since I locked myself in my room after the doomed Thanksgiving dinner. I had only been coming out at night to eat and drink when everyone was asleep.

"Jesus Maya, you look homeless. What happened to you?"Violet exclaimed.

I ignored her and took a seat serving myself some food. At least my appetite was still around so food was the one thing keeping me alive since everything else in me was failing.

"Is anyone else going to acknowledge this?"Violet asked pointing at me.

"No, we're just going to have breakfast."Aunt Gloria replied curtly.

I looked at her wondering why she was being so gracious and she was smiling sadly at me meaning she knew. She probably didn't know all the details but she could guess that I had told Elijah the truth and it had backfired on me just like she had predicted.

Well good for her.

I shoveled food into my mouth wanting breakfast to end fast so I could get to school and away from them.

"Thanks for breakfast autie. Everyone have a good day. Vee let's go."I demanded as soon as I was done.

"But I'm not done yet." She whined.

I gave her one deathly stare that warned her not to mess with me and it had her jumping to her feet.

"Yeah goodbye everyone."She yelled running after me and towards the car.

Violet kept glancing at me on the drive over to school and sighing heavily each time she looked. I knew she wanted answers but I didn't have any for her or I did and I just didn't want to share them. We didn't say anything to each other the whole drive over even though I knew Violet wanted to talk. I was grateful to her that for once she had left me alone like I wanted.

"I'm here May always."She whispered just as she parked in the school compound.

"Thanks."I mumbled getting out of the car and adjusting my cap.

I was wearing a black pair of jeans, grey hoodie, black baseball cap to hide my eyes and my favorite boots.

I wasn't in the mood to chitchat so I decided to forego the morning gossip session with our friends. I could see the confused look on all their faces when I walked directly into the school looking like a thief but I knew Violet would fill them in. Elijah hadn't arrived yet because his car wasn't in the lot so that gave me some time to avoid him best I could.

I hadn't texted or called him all weekend and he hadn't reached out either. I knew he was hurting and even if I was too I was determined to give him all the space he needed. December was nearly upon us and so it was colder than ever. Instead of hugs, cuddling and hot cocoa with Elijah like I had planned I was nursing a broken heart.

Instead of taking my usual seat at the front with Elijah I chose a seat at the back of the class. I dropped my bag heavily on the floor and plopped down heavily on the seat.

I lay my head on the desk resisting the urge to cry because that's all I'd been doing the whole weekend. I was surprised how I wasn't dehydrated yet.

I felt him before I even lifted my face to see him and he looked just as bad as I did if not worse. His pale skin looked even paler, he had bags under his eyes and he was hunched over as if trying to curl into himself. Our eyes met and I saw all the hurt reflecting in his eyes. I knew Elijah hurting was my fault and that made me feel even worse.