✨ 22 ✨

MAYA

"Girls are you done yet? It's time for pictures."Aunt Gloria yelled from the hallway.

We were in my bedroom and I was helping Violet with the zipper of her dress. She was wearing a short spaghetti strap navy blue lace dress and a black pair of heels.

I heard Violets door open and when my aunt realized we weren't in there she headed over to my room.

"Oh baby, you look beautiful."Aunt Gloria gushed when she saw Violet and immediately started snapping away.

"Thank you mama G."Violet replied posing.

"Ada, why aren't you ready yet?"My aunt asked.

Violet and I looked at each other with wide eyes and I realized that I'd forgotten to tell her that I wasn't going to the dance.

"You didn't tell her."Violet whisper yelled as if aunt Gloria wasn't in the room with us.

"I obviously forgot."I gritted out.

"Tell me what?"Aunt Gloria asked.

"That she's not going to the dance."Violet announced before I even got the chance to reply.

"Ada is this true?"Aunt Gloria asked and I nodded.

"Why?"

"Because she doesn't have a date."Violet answered again on my behalf making me glare at her but she just shrugged at me.

"That is not reason enough to not go. You'll have fun with your friends. You don't need a boy to make you happy."Aunt Gloria reasoned.

How was I supposed to explain to my aunt that it wasn't just any boy. It was the most handsome boy I knew with vibrant green eyes and brought fiery red hair. I only wanted to go to the dance with him but he had said no so I wasn't going to go with anyone at all.

"Mama G is right, we'll all be there for you. And besides you can help me with the knights in distress mission. You can put a smile on some poor saps face by just dancing with him. You won't be the only one there without a date."Violet insisted.

"So I'll just be some charity case."I retorted feeling offended.

"No you'll just be helping the charity cases."She grinned as if she had given the perfect answer.

"Are you hearing yourself? That is so rude."I pointed out.

"I'm joking calm down sis but seriously come with us, you'll have fun."She pleaded.

"Go with your cousin Ada."Aunt Gloria added.

"I don't want to."I whined because none of them were listening to me.

"What if I tell you that Elijah will the there and that he doesn't have a date. You guys have been getting along the last couple of days. Tonight might be your chance to finally talk."Violet enticed.

At the mention of Elijah, I was immediately intrigued. She was right we had somehow been getting along although that was overstating it. He hadn't been rude to me all week. He also talked to me without being prompted and blew me a kiss before the game that had led to a mild heart attack on my side.

"Why are you making this about a boy? Ada you should go because it's a rite of passage to go to at least one school dance, don't miss out on memories you might treasure forever."Aunt Gloria advised.

"Okay I'll go."I said giving in because all I could think of was seeing Elijah in a tux.

"Yes! Wait, who's speech convinced you?"Violet asked.