✨ 45 ✨

ELIJAH

Ushering in a new year was supposed to be a joyous occasion but not for me. It was two hours to midnight and I was in my room lying on my bed staring up at the ceiling. There were so many parties I had been invited to but I just wasn't in a festive mood. I was spending another new years eve alone by myself while the person I really wanted to be with wasn't there. This year she wasn't in a different continent, she was just a couple of minutes away but she still wasn't with me.

I turned my head and saw the gift Maya had given me for Christmas and a sad smile graced my lips. Maya was literally the best, it was the most thought gift I had received and it was testament to the many years of our friendship. We had history that no one could ever erase but did we have a future?

My phone rang next to me and I picked it up to see that it was Wade calling me. I thought about letting it go to voice mail but he would just keep nagging me.

"Finally you picked up. Dude where are you?"He yelled into the phone.

I could hear lots of noise in the background meaning he was already at a party.

"At home."I grunted out.

"At home?! Are you crazy? On new years eve?"He scolded.

"No I'm not crazy, I just wanted some peace and quiet tonight."I replied.

"No one wants peace and quiet on new years eve. Dude you've been locked up in your bedroom for two weeks. It's time to get out and come join us. I promise you it's a fun party."Wade incited.

"Not tonight, have fun for the both of us."I sighed not really moved by his words.

"I know what can make you come here."Wade declared sounding very sure of himself.

"What?"I retorted.

"Maya is here."He replied.

"I already know that."I replied.

Violet had been posting photos of them all night and subtly tagging me thinking I wouldn't notice.

"Well then it seems you don't have an issue with what will happen later."Wade commented.

"What will happen later?" I asked confused.

"The kiss at midnight. A lot of guys have been asking her and its only a matter of time before she picks one of them."Wade answered.

His reply ticked me off because he had done it intentionally and he knew it would get to me.

"Maya is not like that!"I gritted out.

"She's a beautiful, single girl who is not short of male attention. You enjoy your bedroom buddy because your girl is kissing someone at midnight, choice is yours who that person will be."Wade said and hang up before I had a chance to reply.

I tossed my phone away feeling very frustrated with the whole situation. I didn't want Maya kissing anyone else but me yet I wasn't making any effort to get her back. I didn't expect Maya to wait for me forever, I just needed more time.

Being in my room was starting to become a little claustrophobic so I put on a hoodie, a pair of socks, picked up my phone and left my room. No one was home except for my parents so I decided to go get myself something to drink from the kitchen. I found my mom in there pouring popcorn into a bowl.

"Hi mom."I mumbled making her jump in surprise.

"Dear lord Eli, don't scare me like that. What are you doing here?"She asked her hand on her chest.

"I live here."I chuckled retrieving a bottle of water from the fridge.

"I know that smartass, I mean what are you doing here on new years eve. Shouldn't you be out there having fun with your friends?"My mom asked.