✨ 26 ✨

MAYA

"And where do you think you're going young lady?"My aunt asked startling me.

So close.

I definitely needed to work on my sneaking out skills.

I turned around looking guilty like a kid who had been caught with their hand in the sugar jar.

"Hi auntie."I replied waving at her sheepishly.

"Ada don't make me ask again? Where are you going?"My aunt repeated.

"Not so loud, she'll hear you."I shushed my aunt.

She wasn't the one I'd been afraid of catching me.

"You're running away from Violet?"My aunt asked mirth all over her face when she caught on.

"Yes I am. She wants to try retwisting my locks and I am not letting that white girl near my hair."I whispered looking around.

"Where is she now?"Aunt Gloria inquired.

"In her room looking for the appropriate comb."I answered.

"What do you think she will do once she finds out that you ran away?"Aunt Gloria asked.

I hadn't thought that far. All I knew is that I had to get away from Violet before I ended up going bald.

"Cover for me."I pleaded.

"Oh no, you two are not putting me in the middle of whatever you have going on."Aunt Gloria demanded.

"Please aunt."I begged when I heard Violet's footsteps at the top of the stairs.

"No, Ada."Aunt Gloria hissed.

"May, where did you go? I have the comb."Violet yelled her voice getting closer.

"Please aunt."I said one last time before kissing her cheek to distract her and running out of the house.

The windows were open meaning one could see directly into the driveway so I couldn't head that way. Not yet at least. I decided to behind one of the huge plants next to the front door until the coast was clear.

"Mama G, have you see Maya?"Violet asked my aunt.

I could hear them meaning they were literally on the other side of the door. I crossed my fingers hoping that my aunt would cover for me. I didn't know what I would do if she sold me out.

"Yeah, I uh, sent her to buy me some mayonnaise. Yeah that's right, mayonnaise. We're out of mayonnaise."Aunt Gloria replied with an awkward cough.

I didn't like putting her on the spot like that but I'd rather deal with my aunt's anger than be with Violet all afternoon as she played barber with my locks.

"Oh okay, tell her to meet me in my room when she's back."Violet replied taking the bait.

I sighed in relief and sagged against the wall. I heard her footsteps fade further into the house meaning she had walked back upstairs. The front door opened and my aunt stepped out. I poked my head out from behind the bushes to be met with my aunt's unimpressed face.

"You will never make me lie for you like that again."Aunt Gloria demanded.

"Yes auntie, thank you."I replied stepping away from the flower completely.

"Where are you going?"Aunt Gloria asked.

"I hadn't thought that far yet, just focused on getting away."I answered.

"Well here is some money, be back by curfew and text Violet in an hour with a believable excuse as to why you aren't back yet. You can only buy mayonnaise for too long."Aunt Gloria instructed handing me a few bills.