✨ 17 ✨

ELIJAH

How could a day that had started so perfectly take such a bad turn? I had taken the flowers, I'd been nice and even winked at her when she waved at me. Then she had to go ahead and remind me of the fact that she had a boyfriend. How could I have forgotten that she had a boyfriend? Finn had told me a week ago, even before I met her but that little detail had slipped my mind. Fuck. That ruined everything. She ruined everything.

I had been so willing to give her a chance so we could work things out but she didn't deserve it. For eight years I'd closed my heart off from all girls because I refused to let her go. Sure our relationship had been forged under a sugar rush while we were kids but it meant everything to me. She had betrayed me and actually gotten a boyfriend and for that she could keep her apologies to herself because I was done, for real this time. I wasn't even going to try like I'd promised my sisters. All of them and their false hope in Maya and I rekindling our relationship could go to hell.

We didn't have any classes together in the afternoon which I thanked the heavens for because I didn't want to see Maya or even glimpse at her. For practice the coach had us working out in the gym the whole time which spared me from seeing her running around the field in those tiny tight shorts. I pushed myself harder than usual to the point where every single one of my muscles was screaming in pain and begging me to stop but I didn't, instead I pushed myself further.

"Good job boys, I'll see you tomorrow morning bright and early in the field. We'll start running drills for our first game of the season next weekend."Coach summed up once we were done at the gym.

I grabbed my towel, wrapped it around my neck before heading for the showers.

"Hey Eli, a few of us are hanging out at my house after this, wanna join us?"Wade asked cornering me as I was getting changed after my shower.

"Nope, I'm going home."I replied.

"Come on dude, we haven't hang out in ages."Wade insisted.

"I don't know man, I'm not really in the mood. I won't be the best company either."I explained.

"We aren't going to be talking, just playing on the X-box and gorging on as much junk food as possible before coach starts limiting our diet tomorrow."He added hopefully.

Wade noticed that I still looked skeptical.

"The girls won't be there, it's just us guys if that's what you're worried about."He added.

I hadn't even thought about it but it was nice to know that the girls being there wouldn't be a possibility. Where Violet was Maya definitely would be and I didn't want to see her.

Wade looked determined and as much as I wanted to be alone, I had to admit that some company wouldn't be so bad.

"One hour max then I'm gone."I agreed giving in.

"Awesome, see you there or do you need a ride?"He asked.

"I brought my car, I'll meet you guys there."I replied.

He nodded, clapped my back before leaving me alone.

Looks like I would be spending the rest of my afternoon with the boys. They weren't that bad to hang out with, they just got loud and inappropriate sometimes.

After getting changed back into my clothes, I grabbed my bag and left the gym. I passed by my locker where the bouquet Maya had given me earlier was. I stared at it for a full five minutes before angrily grabbing it and tossing it in the trash without taking the usual single stem. I slammed my locker shut then walked away in a huff. A few moments later I stopped walking and turned around. I stormed towards the trash can, made sure that no one was around and took a single sunflower stem then huffed off to my car. Stupid, stupid guilt.