✨ 16 ✨

MAYA

"Sunflowers? Aren't those a bit bold for a boy?"Violet challenged as we drove to school.

"Since when are flowers gender biased?"I retorted.

"You're right, it doesn't matter anyway since he will toss them away like the rest."Violet expressed bitterly.

"I'm willing to take that risk."I said.

"Girl at some point you will have to give up or try a different strategy because the flowers clearly aren't working."She suggested.

"Yeah, maybe."I shrugged.

"So have you thought of ideas about how you'll ask Elijah to the hoco dance?"Violet asked.

"Not really, I still have the whole of this week and next week."I replied.

"Yeah you're right but it doesn't hurt to get a head start."She advised.

"I'll get to it."I assured her.

"Perfect, let me know if you need help, I'm very good with glitter."Violet offered.

"I'm not going to use glitter but thanks for the offer."I said laughing.

I ran my fingers through the delicate petals of the sunflowers and my smile faded to a pout. When I bought the flowers from Amanda earlier, she had apologized again for her brother's behavior and requested me not to give up on him. I wouldn't but Elijah wasn't making it easy for me. He kept making it harder and harder for me to try and fix things. A girl could only get rejected so many times before she gave up. I didn't want to give up but if Elijah didn't at least try then there would be no use for me to keep trying either. I wasn't there yet, it had only been a week as compared to the eight years he had suffered so I would push on a little bit more.

"We're here."Maya announced parking in her usual spot.

I knew for a fact that the school didn't assign specific parking spots to students but everyone I knew parked in one specific place. It was probably one of the unwritten rules.

I got out of the car with my bag and flowers in hand. I felt him before I even saw him making my heart beat faster and my eyes immediately find him amongst our friends. He looked up and our eyes met meaning he had felt me arrive. He might deny me all he wanted but we would be linked forever and there was nothing he could do about that. I took a deep breath, bracing myself for more rejection and joined everyone with Violet by my side.

"Good morning dudes and dudettes."Violet greeted and everyone mumbled their response.

I was about to greet them myself when Violet exclaimed loudly cutting me off.

"Jesus, what happened to you Olsen? Did you run into a tree trunk or something?"Violet asked.

I took a good look at Elijah and that's when I noticed the huge bruise on his jaw. It looked black and painful explaining a lot of things. I'd had a dull ache on my jaw all weekend, nothing alarming but I'd just assumed that I'd hurt myself sleeping but seeing Elijah's injury made more sense to me.

"I sparred with Jessica and it got out of hand."He explained looking at me for a fleeting moment as if he was accusing me of something.

What did I have to do with him sparring with his sister?

"Last time you got a concussion, Eli you've got to know when to stop."Wade pointed out.

"I will, the day I beat her."He said.

"Good luck with that, your sister is too good at what she does."Jace gushed and it was clear that he had a crush on Jessica.

I would too if I was a guy, she was tall, beautiful and graceful.