Chapter 27 - The birthday girl

Carlton Diner
Y/N POV

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the hell that idiot would do that to her.

From what she told me, there are no excuses for his behaviour, after eating a few more pancakes she brought the subject back up again, but she was a lot more calmer this time, but was more angry than upset.

Apparently the asshole would leave without a word constantly, which led up to the fight she told me about earlier, as to why he was doing it in the first place.

It's clear communication is not a strong suit for him, and he is a complete and utter fool for not wanting those kind of things in life.

I know I do, my dreams are similar if not the same as Elizabeth's, I want the big house in the middle of nowhere, I want to see my children grow up, and for me to grow old alongside with my wife.

But the more I see these pictures in my head, the more it becomes blurry, more specifically the woman beside me in them does.

My heart does and will forever belong to Alycia, but she's slowly breaking me without realising.

I know she loves me, I can still see it.

But some where along the way of our story, it's like she's forgotten how to really show it.

I've had many friends and family come to me and tell me that I need to man up, that I need to stop letting her walk all over me.

But I can't, she's the literal definition of my heart, and if I hurt her, then I'm only hurting myself.

"Alright we should probably go, I offered to help set up decorations so we've got to arrive early" Elizabeth says placing her napkin down onto the table.

I then slump back into the booth seat, feeling my stomach already bloating from the stack of pancakes we just had.

"I think I'm expecting" I joke with a groan, as I place my hands under my shirt rubbing at my stomach.

She giggles at my state "Food baby huh?" She says going along with the joke.

I nod my head with a smile, before Mrs Carlton comes over to the table as I sit back up.

"Is that all dears?" She says with a smile as she puts our empty plates on to the tray.

"Yes thank you, it was wonderful Mrs Carlton" Elizabeth says beaming up at the older woman.

"Just the check now please" I say smiling at her as I pull out my wallet.

She simply nods her head with a smile as she brings out the check and places it in front of me.

I pay the amount due and makes sure to give her my usual hefty tip.

She shakes her head at me when she sees the amount.

"Ryder Hamilton, what have I told you about tipping this much" She scolds me but I just smile in return.

"That next time you won't let me pay, or did you forget once again" I say with a cheeky grin as she hits my arm playfully.

Elizabeth smiles at the interaction before we both stand up and put our coats on.

We say and wave our goodbyes to Mrs Carlton as we head outside to my car.

"Thank you for this morning" She says softly from beside me.

I look to my side and smile warmly at her "Of course, I always have fun hanging out with you" I reply bumping my shoulder against hers earning a low chuckle and a smile from her.