Change Yo Ways

Suzette
A Few Days Later

"Mama!" Shayne called out and I rolled my eyes to the ceiling as I stopped mopping for a second. "Girl, I need you to stop allat yellin' in my house," I told her as she walked into the kitchen and stopped at the entrance when she saw me cleaning up. "Sorry Mama. I just wanted to talk to you. You okay? You look tired, Ma."

"Well I'm fine. Go sit in the den until I'm done in here. How was work?" I asked as she went and plopped down on the couch in her scrubs. "Alright. I had a long enough day though."

When I finished mopping, I relaxed on the couch opposite Shayne with my feet up. I decided to start whatever conversation she wanted to have even though it felt like my brain was doing Da Butt in my head. "So what you wanted to talk about?"

"I just wanted to know have you heard from my Goddaddy?" I shook my head slowly. "No. It must have been negative since I ain't heard from him," I lied as I heard Cortez making his way down the stairs. "Babe, I just mopped the kitchen floor. If you need anything I'll bring it to you in a minute," I called out to no response and no more than a few seconds later was Cortez strolling into the kitchen in those old dirty behind tennis shoes of his.

I sighed as I watched him look through the fridge without saying a word. He looked over at me.

"What's wrong with you now, Suzette?"

"I just mopped that floor. I been in here cleanin' all day Cortez," I nearly whined and his expression went unchanged as he shrugged. "It's no big deal. Just do it again."

I shook my head as I turned my attention to my phone to respond to texts from my baby sister Dawn. "What, you got an attitude now Suzette?" I looked back to see him focused on making a sandwich at the counter. His light bulb head ass threw a chip in his mouth. I shook my head slowly. "Not at all," I rolled my eyes on the sly before looking back at my phone. When I looked back up Cortez was leaving the kitchen with a plate in his hand and I looked at my daughter.

Then Cortez walked back in the kitchen from the other entrance, got a bottle of water, and left again. I took the deepest breath as I sunk into my spot on the couch.
"Don't worry about it, Ma. I'll mop the floor over for you," Shayne offered but I declined.

"Naw you been at work all day, it's fine. I just need a minute to collect myself," I told her.

"Mama. You looked all dizzy and pale when I walked through the door. I got it. Just relax okay? Is C.J. coming home tonight?" I nodded with my eyes closed. "He is. He said he would catch a ride with a friend."
"I can drive him back Sunday night so no one has to worry about it," Shayne suggested as I opened my eyes. "You ain't gotta do that Sweetie. Me and your Daddy might take him back. Or I'll ask Shakur."

"Mamaaaa," she started, "You been letting me stay here rent free for these few weeks, the least I can do is help out when I can since you won't let me give you any money."

"You my child. What I look like makin' you pay me to sleep in the house I raised you in when you done fell on hard times?" I asked and Shayne just chuckled. "Well thank you. And really takin' C.J. back is fine. I might even get Saniya to ride along with us. It feels like it's been forever since we've spent any quality time together now that he's in college."

I let out a small laugh. "Right, I miss my boy. My little boyyyy."

"Ew Mama. Your favoritism is showing," Shayne sounded genuinely disgusted and that only made me laugh a little harder. "I don't got no favorites. You and your brother just crazy." She got up to mop the kitchen over again for me and I dozed off in my spot on the couch.