i Like It

Shayne

I knocked on Shakur's door before entering without warning. I found him surrounded by a cloud of smoke and gasped. "Now you know Mama would whoop yo ass if she knew you was up here smoking." I closed the door behind myself and sat beside my brother. "All the damn weed Pops smoke in this house? Mama would have to have a nose like a dog to sniff this shit out. Wanna hit it?" Shakur passed me the blunt and I took a few pulls before handing it back and sitting up against the wall with my knees to my chest. "I saw you at the house the other day," I said and Shakur looked back at me like I was about to get on his nerves.

"And?" I shrugged my shoulders. "I just... wanted to say thank you." I watched my brother sigh. "I thought you was about to fuss me out like Mama did." My eyebrows drew together. "She nagged at you?" Shakur nodded. "When we first moved in here she asked me was I movin' weight and I told her no. I wasn't try'na cause her and Pops no problems. I was sellin' dope long before he put me on game. He only did it because he wanted to keep an eye on me."

"Really?" I asked and Shakur nodded. "When I moved in he practically begged me to get a clean job. I tried but that shit wasn't for me and when he realized I was just gone keep doin' me he started showin' me the ropes and gave me a few responsibilities."

"You told that to Mama?" I asked as he passed the blunt back to me and I turned it down. "Yeah. Did you hear them arguin'? That was the first time I ever heard Mama raise her voice like that if it wasn't at one of us."

I laughed while nodding. "Well they downstairs boo loving and dancing to throwbacks, so they must have made up."

"Allat aside though. You good, Sweetie?"

I nodded with a small smile. "Yeah... Goddaddy gave me the papers and I dropped them off to my lawyer yesterday. Nizani still hasn't texted me back yet though. I guess she really think I went back to him."
"Don't sweat it. That girl has loved you forever. She'll come around soon enough." I stood to my feet. "I hope so," I mumbled as I left the room and headed down the hallway. I sat atop the stairs watching them dance to some oldies before pulling my phone out of my pocket and calling Nizani for the second time today. "Hi Godmommy!" Evette answered the phone and I smiled. "Hey my baby. How are you baby girl? I miss my lil namesake." Evette giggled. "I miss you too. When you bringing my sister to see me?"

I chuckled. "I don't know yet. Hopefully some time before you start school."

"Eve, who you talkin' to?" I heard Zan ask in the background. "Godmommy." Nizani took the phone not even a few seconds later. "Shay, I really don't have time to hear about how happy you is with Darnell or how good he's puttin' it on you. I'm supposed to be gettin' ready to drop Evette off with my grandmother so I can hit the gym." I took a deep breath. "Can we just talk, Nizani?"

"What actually is there to talk about?" She asked with a whole lot of attitude and I rolled my eyes as stress set in. "Maybe how Darnell was practically holding me hostage last week and I had to call my folks to come get me." Nizani gasped and I sat there leaning my head against the wall. "He took my phone and was texting you and my Mama nem. He hid my car keys from me. I didn't know he was saying all those things to you, I swear I didn't. I looked everywhere I could for my phone. For all I knew, he had thrown it in the trash."

"Are you okay, Shayne?" Tears started to roll down my cheeks as I sat there thinking of everything that had happened to me in that house. "I will be," I said flatly.
"I was gonna go to the gym, but I'll come by there instead."