20 Somethin'

Shayne

"Shit," I whispered as I rolled out of bed onto the floor clutching my head. I felt like my whole face was cracked. Like my skull was fractured on the inside but you just couldn't tell from the outside. I had been feeling pain like this ever since Darnell slammed my face into the counter two weeks ago before he made me snort that damn Oxy. If I didn't know any better I'd say I was experiencing one of those wicked ass migraines Mama told me about having before she got the tumor removed from her head. "Mmmm!" I cried as I scurried to my feet, aching in pain as I left my room.

"I need to take something, this shit is horrible," I cried as I realized just how sick on the stomach I felt. I can't believe this pain got me feeling like this. I rounded the corner and knocked on Shakur's door. I could see the light from his TV spilling out of the cracks of the door and I know I heard his ass in here laughing not too long ago but he wasn't getting up. I groaned as I stomped my foot. "Shakur... come on, open the damn door, bro." I kept knocking until he pulled the door open and stuck his head out of the crack.

"Shayne, what the hell is you try'na do? Wake everybody up?" Shakur asked with his face balled up and I shook my head no as I tried to hold it up straight while folding my arms over my stomach. "You live far from civilization brother, nobody heard that lil bit of knocking." My brother smacked his teeth like I was bothering him.

"Whatchu want? A nigga was try'na go to sleep." I took a deep sigh. "Oh yeah... I needed to ask if you had anything I could take? My head feels like it's finna explode like literally," I inquired nervously and Shakur looked at me funny. "You a female. Ain't you supposed to have ibuprofen and shit like that?" I rolled my eyes so hard that the pain behind them seemed to intensify.

"You're such a fucking ass. I already took some and it ain't working. I gotta work in the morning and I ain't gone get no sleep if I can't get this migraine to disappear." Shakur huffed. "Wait a minute." I started to enter behind him when he closed the door in my face. "Bitch," I mumbled as I smacked the door with an open palm. Shakur returned a minute later and placed two oval shaped pills in the palm of my hand. "What are these?" I asked.

"Percs, that's all I got right now. Now take yo ass on," Shakur snuffed before shutting his door. I hurried downstairs to pour a glass of water to flush those pills down my throat. As I stood there waiting on my medicine to kick in, I wondered if my husband was still alive. Part of me prayed he was dead. Darnell got in my head in a way I vowed myself no nigga ever could. And I hated the both of us for it. I couldn't be more grateful for Zaya... but if this marriage taught me nothing else, it taught me that if a motherfucker gone change they gotta see their wrong and want to fix it. Darnell couldn't acknowledge what he needed to do in order to fix us, and I accept that. I just can't believe how long it took me to realize he wouldn't change... not for me anyway. Maybe if Darnell lived through my Goddaddy or my Daddy or whatever the fuck I'm supposed to be calling him now's fury, he'll change for the next bitch.

After staring out of the back window for close to fifteen minutes as I finished off my water, I noticed how settled my stomach had become and chalked that up to my headache making me sick. I floated up the stairs and bumped right into my Mama at the top of them.

"Hey Sweetie. I thought I heard you up, I was just comin' to check on you." I smiled. "Oh hey, Mama."

"What you doin' up? Sit down for a minute." Mama held my hand and sat on the top step, pulling me down with her. "I had a headache. I went to get a glass of water to take something for it so I could try to get some sleep before I gotta get up for work."