God, Love, Sex & Drugs

Suzette

"Whew! Thank you Lord," I raised my hands while yawning as I stood in front of the mirror in the master bathroom naked after showering and brushing my teeth. Sammy came in standing behind me and he started kissing my neck while hugging me from behind. I laughed. "Did I wake you up?"

"Good mornin'. I got a call while you was in the shower." I rolled my eyes. "Ohhh. So I suppose you finna run off somewhere, huh?"

Sammy chuckled while smacking my behind. "Naw, I got somebody who can take care of that for me. What you gettin' into today? You never wake up this early." I laid my head on his chest to kiss his chin.

"Because I haven't had to. You don't know how good it feels not to have to stand in my closet for hours searching for something to wear that makes me look like there's no shape under it just to go to that church with Cortez. I have been missing going to church though. Erykah called me the other day. We s'posed to be visitin' New Evangelistic today in lookin' for a church home. Wanna join us?"

"I haven't been to church in decades, Sweetness." He shrugged. I turned around and rested my hands on his shoulders as I stared up at him. "I figured you hadn't. But you never know, you might enjoy it honey. And I'm sure you got a nice suit tucked away in that closet somewhere." He bit his bottom lip. "You went through my closet, woman?" I laughed. "And did. But this ain't about that. Don't you remember all the memories we made at church when we was young?"

"Shit, I'm still young. But I remember more of the memories we made when we snuck out of church." I shook my head while blushing. "You are somethin' else, Sammy."

"I'm your somethin' else."

I nodded. "You are. So what do you say? Will you come to church with me this mornin'?"

"Yeah I will. Maybe we can make a day out of this every now and again. We can do church in the mornin', dinner in the evenin', each other at night," Sammy suggested while rubbing his hands together as I withdrew from our embrace shaking my head. "That actually doesn't sound too bad. I guess we'll see how you take care of that last part you mentioned." I grinned while turning to start doing my make up. "Oh, best believe I'ma handle 'at Sweetheart. I'ma hop in the shower." Sammy stripped and got in the shower as I executed some dainty natural glam on my face. When I was through, I tied my robe around my naked body before leaving our bathroom and bedroom to make my way down the longest hallway to my baby girl Saniya's new room.

"Mama girl," I chimed while knocking on her door before sticking my head inside to see Saniya still fast asleep. I entered and sat at the edge of the bed.
"Saniya." I placed my hand over hers and her eyes fluttered open. She smiled. "Good morning Ma. You look pretty." I chuckled before twisting my lips to the side. "You sayin' I only look pretty cuz I done put makeup on my face?" She laughed with her eyes closed with her silly self. "No! You look prettier without it. Take a compliment, Mama."

"Mhm, whatever. I came in here because me and Sammy and your auntie Erykah are goin' to church this mornin'. I wanted to see if you would join us."

Saniya opened her eyes just to roll them, leaving me stunned at her lack of effort to hide the disrespect she decided to serve up. "And what's all that about Saniya Gizelle?" I asked as I withdrew my hand from hers to point a finger in her face. "I ain't goin' to no church."

"And why is that?"

"Because as far as I can see, church ain't nothing but a scam. You know I love you hard, Mama, I do. But Daddy would carry on hooping, hollering, and preaching holiness— just to come home and wear you out sometimes. And the people would fall right into his trap. Going up when that organ got behind him and dancing at the praise breaks. Speaking in tongues, running laps around that room and falling out in the aisles behind the teachings of a liar. I ain't never got nothin' out of goin' to church and I don't see myself gettin' anything out of it anytime soon. So no, I ain't goin' to no church." I could tell that Saniya had probably held that in for a real long time.