A Mother's Prayer

Suzette

"Babe, you need anything?" Sammy asked as I came out of the room I had just set Shayne and Zaya up in upon our arrival back home. He pulled me into a long hug and I didn't cry, I didn't speak, I just stood there in his arms at a loss for words trying to comprehend all that I'd learned today. "You got any of that shit out?" I looked up at him with pinched brows and Sammy shook his head. "Ion't even keep that shit around here. I just keep a lil weed on me that's all."

We started walking towards our bedroom and when we got there I sat on the edge of the bed taking my shoes off and stretching my neck. Sammy stood in front of me brushing my hair behind my shoulder before kissing my cheek. "I'ma step out for a minute, ight?"
"Where you goin'?" I asked and he didn't say anything, he didn't even look at me. "Sammy you can't go after that boy," I stood up trying to hold his hand but he snatched away from me. He ran both of his hands down his face as he looked towards the ceiling huffing and puffing like he could just blow me out of his way.

"Sammy what's that gone do? What? Land you in jail for try'na take his life? Or send you to hell if you die try'n?" He looked down at me like I offended him. "Oh I ain't gone try. And you'll be lucky if I don't go lookin' for Cortez broke bitch ass when I'm done." He walked away into his closet and I followed after him. "I don't need you gettin' in trouble and losin' yo freedom behind folks none of us ever gotta deal with again!"

"Then trust that I won't," he said calmly as he pulled a box safe from off of a shelf, putting in a combination, and opening it before pulling out two guns— loading them both and tucking one down the front of his pants and the other in the back. Sammy moved me out of his way as gently as he could before changing his shoes and leaving the closet but I was hot on his trail.

"Sammy please don't go," I begged, pulling his arm. He turned around snapping, "That son of a bitch raped our daughter! Got her hooked on painkillers!" He hollered in my face and I jumped back hard. "He held a gun to Zaya's head! She's three fuckin' years old! I'ma find his ass and when I do, I'ma do exactly what I should have done the day I pulled him from on top of her," Sammy growled.

"And you expect me to just be okay with that?" I asked and he shook his head. "No, I don't."

"So what am I supposed to do then, Sammy?"

"Do what you do best. Pray." He walked away without warning. I followed Sammy to the top of the steps calling after him, but nothing I said stopped him from walking out that door.

"What's goin' on Mama?" Saniya turned a corner and started heading my way. I just shook my head and threw my hands up as tears streamed down my face while walking back to our bedroom, shutting the door behind me. I fell to my knees at the foot of the bed.

With tears running down my face I went to God withholding nothing. "Father God in the name of Jesus, I come before the throne of grace knowing who you are Lord. Lord you have been a healer, a deliverer, a way maker God, my all in all. Lord you've been my everything when I had nothing and for that I love you and I thank you and I will forever give you praise! Lord I know that I ain't always right, but I'll always be in your corner! Oh Lord, I beseech you here! I cry out to you on tonight oh God! Asking that you make me over and over and over again until I am exactly how you want me to be oh God. Please hear my prayer! Lord I ask that you send your power right now God, and let it strike something on the inside of everything attached to me Father! Lord let your power touch my children, let your power touch my fiancé, let your power touch me and let it dwell throughout this house oh God! I believe in your power Jesus! I believe in your healing power, I believe in your saving power, I believe in your miracle working power! Lord you are miraculous and wonderful and worthy of all glory, all the honor, all the praise! You're worthy not because we need you Father, but you are worthy simply because of who you are! Lord, stretch out your hand and touch Samuel! God I ask that you encamp your angels around him! Bless his going out and his coming in! Lord, you know what it is! Oh almighty omnipotent savior, grace is the need! I ask for grace on tonight, God! Lord guide him back home in the name of Jesus! Meet him wherever he stumbles, oh God! Don't let him fall, Lord, but catch him before it's too late, in the name of Jesus! God, you got my family! I trust you with us Lord! Purify our hearts, purify our minds! Lord, I ask that you touch Shayne! From the crown of her head to the sole of her feet! Stretch your hand out over her father! Wrap her in your loving arms! Let your grace and your mercy be her comfort in this time Jesus! Heal Lord! Let her mind be well, let her body be well, eradicate the urge oh God! Snatch the foul taste out of her mouth in the name of Jesus! Addiction has to go in the name of Jesus! Temptation has to go in the name of Jesus! Depression has to go in the name of Jesus! Lord cancel the assignment of the enemy on tonight! I plead the blood of Jesus over my child, may the blood of Jesus rest over my fiancé, over my children, over this house!"