Circles

Shayne

"What Darnell?" I sighed as I finally answered the phone for him. We hadn't spoken since the day I'd been by the house to get more things for me and Zaya. After the way shit hit the fan, talking to Darnell was far from what I had on my mind. But he'd been blowing me up day in and day out and I thought maybe letting him hear my voice for a few minutes would be enough to get him off my phone.

"Shay, baby, thank you for answering. I miss you so much. I'm... I'm sorry, ight?" I smacked my teeth and asked, "What's new?"

"I deserve that. But Shayne just come home, ight? I miss you, I miss Zaya. I need y'all baby, y'all my world. I feel like I'm losing my mind in this house by myself."

"Darnell what makes you think I wanna come back to that house with you?" I let my attitude take my place in the conversation. "You don't?" He sounded hurt, but I was far from phased. "Nell, the day I came to pick up some clothes you smacked the dog shit outta me bruh! After I explained that you acting like you was acting was the reason I wasn't home in the first place! You're not okay Darnell and it seems like you don't want to be. Have you talked to your therapist? Have you even taken your meds?" I asked and to no response.

"Exactly, so don't act like I just up and left yo ass on a whim." I shook my head.

Darnell sniffled. "Baby I just... I want to make it better. I ain't like that, you know I ain't. But sometimes the shit you say out your mouth Shay—," I cut him off, "What about the shit that comes out my mouth?" I asked. "It gives you the right to put your hands on me like that?"

"That ain't what I'm sayin—."

"So what are you saying?" I asked, butting in again.
"I'm saying it pisses me off, Shayne! You got something to say about every damn thing. The first time I don't want to kiss you it's 'oh you must have been kissing that other bitch'. The first time I don't wanna go out with you it's 'oh you must wanna go out with that other bitch'. If I don't feel like kissing your ass to satisfy you it's 'I knew you was just like my Daddy'. Well if you knew I was just like yo Daddy and that wasn't what you wanted, why the hell did you marry me?"

"I wish I knew," I rolled my eyes and hung up without warning. Darnell's manipulative ass was not slick. There he was flipping the script try'na make me the bad guy by bringing up some irrelevant shit that had nothing to do with nothing. But no matter which way he tried to spin it, when it came to him putting his hands on me, Darnell couldn't make me believe it was my fault if he showed me a scripture that justified his actions. And arguing in circles with him was something I just didn't feel like doing today.

A knock came to my door and my Daddy came in with a smile on his face. "Hey baby girl. You guys ready?" I nodded as he kissed my cheek. "Yeah. Come on Zayaaaa." I picked up my daughter who was gnawing on a baby carrot. We rode to the hospital in silence aside from Zaya singing along to the radio. When we arrived and made our way to Mama's room she was sound asleep. I pulled a chair up beside her bed while holding my daughter as Daddy stood by her bedside. Mama woke up about twenty minutes later and Daddy kissed her hand.

"Good morning Mama. How you feeling?" I asked softly.

"I'm alright," she moused and I shook my head knowing that was a bold face lie.

"Mama, can I give Nana a hug?" Zaya looked up at me and I sat her on Mama's bed. She laid in my mom's arms and started kissing my mom all over her face and my mom laughed.