Separated

Suzette

"Hey, hey, hey! You!" I pointed my finger at my eldest as she descended the stairs dressed up like she was about to go somewhere. I left the kitchen to meet her in the foyer. "Yes Mama?" Shayne asked like I was getting on her nerves already as she stopped in front of me, digging her phone out of my Louis Vuitton fanny pack she had wrapped across her chest. I lifted her head with one finger before both of my hands found my hips. "Where is you goin' with my stuff?"

"Nizani called and said she wanted to treat me and Zay to lunch." Shayne blushed and I laughed while shaking my head and holding my hand up. "Unt uh that ain't gone work. We supposed to be goin' down to the church for choir rehearsal in about an hour."

"But Mama ain't you tell me I needed to get out of this house?"

"Yeah I did. And you will. When we leave for choir rehearsal."

"Mama!"

"Mama what?"

"Me missing one rehearsal won't hurt nobody," Shayne was trying to wiggle her way out of this but the expression on her face let me know she was already aware that she was fighting a losing battle.

"It's gone hurt you when you ain't got nobody to watch that baby when you actually have the time to go out. We done talked about this Shay. You agreed to do church, Bible study, and when we joined New Evangelistic you said you wanted to join the choir with me. Now you done gave me yo word, you promised me and we goin'." Shayne sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes before getting on her phone and I had half a mind to pop her in the mouth. I went to walk away but she held my hand as she put her ringing phone on speaker. "You gone tell her Mama."

"Yes, lover?" Nizani answered the phone and I rolled my eyes to the sky high ceiling. "Shayne can't go," I said flatly before snatching back my hand and heading up the steps, listening to my child talk about me like I was an enemy.

Only God knows where she got that smart ass mouth from. But Shayne could be mad all she wanted to. She made a commitment. I was never gone let her get out of it that easy and she should have known that. "Fix ya face," Sammy told me as he met me at the top of the steps and took my chin in his hand, forcing me to look up at him. "Ya daughter need to fix that attitude." He smiled, wrapping his arms around me. "Say that again," he said, starting to plant kisses on my skin and I giggled while shaking my head no. "Come on, say it again," he pleaded before pecking my lips and staring into my eyes just waiting. "Ya daughter," I gave in.

Sammy just smiled and held me in his arms tighter.

"What she do?"

"She rolled her eyes, she cussed, she tried to push past me—," I started just to see how Sammy would react and his eyes went wide as I watched his chest get big.

"What? Oh hell naw, I'ma go handle that," Sammy said already on his way away from me and I started cracking up. "Wait Sammy, baby I was just playing. I was just playing!" I said, pulling him up the couple of stairs he had already gone down and he looked down at me unamused and pointing a finger in my face.

"Don't play like that. Almost put our baby on the streets," I laughed as I kissed him down. "I'm sorry. But the look on your face was so worth it," I giggled.

I shook my head. "She just got a attitude. Just like you. She'a be ight. If I don't kill her."

"You think I got a attitude Sweetheart?" Sammy laughed and started kissing down my neck and I rolled my eyes as I fought off a shiver. "I know you do."

"What you was about to do? I was thinkin' we could watch a movie and kick it. Smoke a little... drink a little... freak a little... or a lot." I rolled my eyes playfully. "As enticin' as that sounds I was just about to get dressed. Me and Shayne got choir rehearsal today. I thought I told you baby."