Karma

Suzette

"They did what?!" I dropped my bag of candy at my feet as I gasped at the news of my children's actions over the last couple of weeks. "Your kids done took Israel back! People I ain't heard from since high school have been calling me and telling me how they ran out to buy your book, chile."

"This finna be a whole 'nother situation," I whined as I started cleaning up my mess and heading up the stairs to find my man and tell him all about the kids he trapped me with. I couldn't believe my kids would go and use my story to support their lil agenda. I found Sammy sitting up against the headboard smoking the blunt I rolled for him earlier and climbed into his lap kissing his beautiful skin.

"Hey," he said like he was tired and I laughed. "I don't want no dick don't do me like that," I said while pushing his shoulder. "Whew!" He said with an air of relief while wiping the fake sweat from his brow. "See... I ain't even need to hear allat. This is like Paris all over again," Erykah said and I laughed.

"Bye stupid," I said before hanging up and laying up on my man to kiss him again.

"I hate our kids," I complained and Sammy laughed harder than I think he ever had. "No you don't."

"Tuh!"

"You hate our kids?" Sammy asked, kissing on my neck and draping his arms around my hips. "No. But they get on my nerves real bad," I said while wrapping my arms around his neck. "What they do?" He asked while tapping his lips against mine. "They done took they black asses down to Hope House and took some kinda political stance with my book."

"You can't be mad at them for that bae," Sammy said while rubbing my ass. "Like hell I can," I said while getting out of his lap to search up the video on my phone. I found it on YouTube without even fully typing out Hope House and rolled my eyes. I cuddled up next to Sammy playing it. We were watching service go on for a minute and I nearly forgot why we were watching it until I saw Shakur and Shayne holding hands as they snuck up onto the choir stand. "Aw look at that. They holding hands bae," Sammy tried to be cute and I laughed sarcastically. And I could have pissed myself and Sammy too when I saw my child hold her middle finger up in church.

And almost immediately I heard the voice of a man barking out my words like he was in the military or something. One of the cameras panned up to the balcony and one by one we watched folks I didn't even know stand up to tell some of the saddest parts of my story.

I just turned my head into the crook of Sammy's neck and cried as Shakur and Shayne stood there reading our stories in front of all those people. "What you crying for," Sammy laid between my thighs kissing my skin just to pull me back on top of him. I just laid there crying against his chest as I watched Cortez approach the choir stand and me and Sammy both started to sit up as we watched.

"Wayment, what's going on?" I said as Sammy paused the video and pulled out his phone to call Shakur. "Yo Pops?" My son coughed and I snatched the phone. "Boy I should tear fire to yo ass!" I said as Sammy put his hand over my mouth while hopping onto his knees and pushing his way back in between my legs. I licked his hand and he moved it. "We getting too old for all these flips and tricks nigga," I said and Sammy laughed as he got comfortable and kissed my cheek. "You might be getting old," he started and I pushed his face away as he tried to keep kissing on me, "But Ion't get old baby, I get seasoned. Check that out," Sammy shifted a little so I could feel that hard dick and I laughed so hard.

I rolled my eyes. "You nasty. I thought you wasn't trynna give it to me. What happened to that?" I asked as Sammy kissed on me some more and I got to rubbing on it. Then I heard my son speak up, "The disrespect for your children is really wild!"

"Ya Mama ain't threatenin' you no more, is she?"

"I almost forgot yo ass was there. Shakur why would you do that? Do you have any idea what could have happened today? Do you have any idea what kinda mess you just made?"

"No, Ma. Don't you see the mess I just cleaned up for you?" My eyes went so wide so fast I probably would have been dizzy if I was standing. "Excuse me? After today you think you can just talk back to me?"

"Maaaaa," Shakur groaned.

"Hear him out SuSu. For real. Just hear him out."

I just shut up and let Shakur talk. "You did the right thing... talking to Miss Elise and doing the book and the album and everything. But you know it's the messiest kinda people out there who are going to find some reason to still believe what Cortez had to say about your divorce! And you know a good chunk of them people still go to Hope House! Mama that place was a church long before Cortez stepped foot behind that podium, we supposed to let him take it to hell with him?"

"Why do you care about anything Cortez got going on Shakur? Why?"

"He had a copy of that book in the pulpit the Sunday after it dropped Ma," Shakur stated. "And?" I replied.

"Why are you so content with letting him win?!"

"He didn't win, Shakur. Ain't I still here? Ain't I happy with your dad?"

"Is you?"

I gasped.

"Shakur," Sammy cut in and before he could say anymore our son spoke up again, "I'm sorry. But you know I can't fake the funk just for the sake of letting you be comfortable. All my life... all I wanted was to protect you and to know that you was safe and happy. That's all I've ever wanted. Today I finally had the chance to really stand up for you Ma. I got to stand up for you and not be told I have to back down or shut my mouth or act like I got sense and in the moment it felt so good. It felt good to know that for the first time ever the nigga who made a hobby out of hurting you felt even a fraction of the pain he put you through and in front of the very people he claimed to treat you like that over? It was like euphoria, Mama. It was like the little boy who wanted no more than to watch that man get caught in his lie and choke on his words finally got to watch it happen. I know I ain't supposed to operate in no vengeful spirit... but I did. And it felt so good. And I don't care how disappointed you is in me— I don't regret it." With that Shakur hung up and Sammy sat back against the headboard and pulled me up with him and wrapped his arms around my waist as I laid my head on his chest.

"Okay cry baby," Sammy chuckled as he heard me sniffle. I looked up at him rolling my eyes. "You always think something is funny," I whined and he pecked my lips. Just then my phone began to ring and I saw that it was my manager. I could only imagine what kind of bullshit she had to talk about the latest scandal my kids done started. I reached for my phone but Sammy took and threw it to the foot of our bed. "Fuck that phone call. You good?" I just nodded and put my head back in place.

"No you not. But that's okay. We gone lay here just like this until you is," Sammy kissed my forehead.