My "LITTLE" Secret

Sammy

Suzette

Suzette

"Mama?" Shayne asked, shuffling into the kitchen throwing her wild hair out of her face. "Hey Sweet Baby. Sleepin' a lil late aintcha?"

"I picked up an extra shift at the hospital last night," I watched my child yawn as she slugged her way over to a barstool. "Oh really? And where was Zaya?"

"With Shakur and Jahzya."

"Oh your brother wasn't out runnin' the streets last night?" I looked up at her with a raised brow. "My brother runs the streets?" Shayne asked like she was oblivious and I ran the sink and flicked water at her with my fingers. "Mama my hair!" She jumped.

"Oh did I wet you? I'm so sorry," I said sarcastically while shaking my head. "Whatchu cookin'? That don't look like chicken and waffles to me," Shayne complained and I chuckled.

"Well everything ain't about you my Sweet Child," I reminded her... even though today was lowkey about her. But it was more so about me and Cortez than anyone or anything else. Shakur had been ready to tell Cortez about being Sammy's son since that was a mere possibility. And now that he knew for sure that Sammy was his biological father he'd been acting like this lil secret I asked him to keep was enough to send him to hell... like he actually cared about taking a trip there. I know my son. It wasn't his honest bones guilting him into telling Cortez the truth. It was the petty one. I was near positive my son wanted nothing more than to hurt that man. And after all the bullshit Cortez put us through I couldn't say I blamed him.

"Everything ain't about me? Yet you standin' in my kitchen makin' breakfast?" My eyebrows snapped together as I looked at Shayne, trying to figure out if she'd lost all of her marbles or just some of them.

"Your kitchen?" I asked.

"Okay... our kitchen."

"Yeah.... And I would use that our a lil loosely if I was you too. Anyway, we here because apparently your Daddy and that twin of yours called Bishop. Shakur wants me to tell him the truth about who your biological father is."

"Why you always say biological father, Mama?" Shayne asked, attempting and failing to roll her eyes on the sly.

"Is that not what Sammy is?" I asked out of confusion.

"He's just my Daddy," Shayne said with a shrug as she attempted to steal a piece of bacon and I slapped it out of her hand. "So you really ain't finna call Cortez Daddy no more?"

"When's the last time he's done any Daddy'ing Mama?" Shayne asked with a huff of her breath.

"Girl you grown!" She nodded. "Yeah, grown and an addict. Grown and fresh out of a violent marriage. Grown and mentally or spiritually... where? When's the last time the man who was supposed to be my 'Daddy' asked me about any of that? I'm doin' just fine don't get me wrong. But I don't have to ask you to check on me. I don't have to ask my Goddaddy to pray for me. Or beg y'all to give me a piece of y'all time, y'all just do. I don't need to keep acknowledging him as a parent if I have to beg him to do that. I got you. And my real Daddy. That's more than enough for me."