Mary Go Round

Saniya

"Saniya," Khalil whined behind me. I blew the meanest breath as I shut my locker. I turned and stood against it with my arms crossed over my chest. "What?"

"Why you still actin' like this dawg? You heard me tell Itzali I was done fuckin' with her and you still being mean. What the fuck you want me to do Saniya?" Khalil asked like somehow our shitty situation was my fault. My phone started to vibrate in the pocket of my skirt and I pulled it out to see my dad trying to call me. I just rolled my eyes and put it away as I started down the hallway with Lovely by my side.

"Saniya. You don't think you're taking this a little too far?"

"Well we know you know all about taking shit a lil too far, don't we?" Lovely said, crossing her arms and mugging. "I won't even talking to ya ass," Khalil said with his irritated face on before turning back to me and stopping me in my tracks. "I apologized ten thousand times. I told you I love you ten thousand times. I get it. That ain't what you want right now."

"No. This ain't what you want right now," Lovely said and I looked up to see her bopping Khalil right in his teeth. She slid on his ass, Khalil just stood there bent over and he touched his mouth to reveal blood on his fingers.

"Bitch come on!" I yanked Lovely's hand and we hit the dash. By the time we got on the school bus I felt like I ain't even have the strength to carry this book bag. Me and her went all the way to the back in silence and when we sat down I pushed her. I wanted to push her fucking ass to the other side of the bus no cap. "Ion't know where you come from. But where I come from you don't hit no nigga in the fucking face."

Lord, I hope Khalil ain't shit like Cortez. Cuz if he is... he gone be showing his face on this bus before it pull off. My phone started ringing and I looked down to see that it was the devil himself— my father. Stop calling me! I hit decline.

Jennifer

"Auntie?" Faye knocked on my door and rushed inside like she was trying not to smile so hard. I took my glasses off and looked up. "What's goin' on?"

"Nothing. Bishop asked to see you in his office."

I rolled my eyes while putting my glasses back on and crossing my legs as I went back to researching this charity Suzette sent me on my laptop. I was looking into charities for New Evangelistic to partner with in hopes of scoring sponsorships for a few of next quarter's events. I'd thought I'd finally come across a good one and here Winston went ringing his bell. "You can tell him I'm busy."

Faye sucked her teeth. "Naw Auntie," she said, stomping inside my office and damn near shutting my fingers inside my laptop. "You gone wanna see this. Come on girl, put ya shoes on!" My niece pulled me up by my arm and I huffed as I stepped into my heels before following her out of my office. I took my time, walking the few feet from my door to my husband's.

Though we were still sleeping in the same bed and eating at the same table Winston and I had barely spoken two words to each other ever since I made it clear that I knew he'd been fucking around. Yeah, I was still here by his side. Allowing him to kiss my cheek in the pulpit and send flowers to my office and dote on me in public. But he could not possibly have gotten a respectful response out of me behind the closed doors of our home or any one of these offices. I just wanted him to tell me the truth about fucking Mariah. I knew already, yes. But I felt like he was taking me for a fool by constantly trying to deny it. I thought we had a different kind of respect for each other. But he was making it obvious that that was just a thought in my head.

Upon approaching the open door, I saw that Winston had set up a table with two platters and candles and red roses all around. Unmoved, I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned on the door frame before knocking on it. Winston stopped trying to set everything up and looked over at me smiling. "You wanted to see me?" I asked flatly.