U

Sammy

Shakur

Shakur

"Why can't I go to church with you Daddy?" Jahzya asked as she wrapped her arms around my waist. I kissed her forehead. "Because. I'm just going to Hope House today in support of your Nana."

"But—," I cut Jahzya off before she could get to complaining, "But why you wanna go to Hope House anyway, huh? Emerald wants to take you to the spa with her today. You can get your nails and toes done. And you can swim in the pool and get a facial. Don't that sound like a good time to you?"

I watched my child twist up her face. "What's that face for J?"

My daughter stood back and crossed her arms. "Mama said I ain't posed to be all up in these hoes face."

I gasped. "You bet not never let me hear yo lil smart ass repeat nothin' like that again," I said sternly and Jahzya's face went soft. "And Emerald ain't nobody new. You two have known each other since you were born J. Don't you like her?"

Jahzya shrugged and sighed. "She's cool. But Mama sa—," I cut that short before I could hear another wise word of Arnell's come out of my child's mouth, "I don't care nothin' about what your ignorant ass Mama said. Let me ask you somethin' J. Seriously. Do you think if me and your Mama got together we could be happy? Or we could get married?"

"You hate each other," Jahzya's pretty brown eyes filled with tears. I pulled her in for a hug to let her get it together. "I don't hate your mom, J. I'll always have love for her because she gave me you. But just because you're grateful for the things somebody does for you it doesn't mean you're supposed to be with them. That was something I learned from Nana and Pop Pop Cortez. I wanna be with somebody that makes me happy. And somebody that makes my kid happy. I think that could be Emerald if we give it a real shot."

"You wanna marry Emerald?" Jahzya looked up at me wiping her face dry. I shrugged with a soft smile on my face. "I think about it sometimes. Emerald's a good girl. She deserves the world. Sometimes I just don't know if I'm good enough to be the one to give it to her."

"Well if she don't think my Daddy's good enough then she stupid just like Mama said!" I rolled my eyes and laughed, "Enough bout what yo Mama said girl, dang."

The doorbell rang, reminding me that Emerald had just called me from the gate 10 minutes ago. "Ight that's Em. Behave, ight? And I gave her money to take you shoppin' so make sure you let her know what stores you like. Okay?" Jahzya nodded while taking my hand like she needed me to hold it as I walked her to the door.

Upon opening the door we found Emerald standing there holding a carry container of coffee cups while wearing that pretty big smile. "Hey," I said as I pulled Em in for a hug and kissed her cheek.

"Hey, good morning guys. I brought you coffee babe. And Jahzya I brought youuu... an iced caramel latte. I heard it was your fave," Emerald said as she handed us our drinks. Jahzya smiled so hard as she practically snatched the drink out of Emerald's hand. "What do you say?" I reminded her. "Thank you!" She cheesed while sticking her straw in her drink and Emerald just smiled.