Damn...

Suzette

Tuesday
1:11 AM

I descended the front steps of my home with my arms crossed and stood before Sammy unsure of why he thought it was a good idea to show up here at this time of night. It was well past midnight and how he got past the community's gate again God only knows. Cortez had fallen asleep hours ago, luckily. But what this man was doing here at this hour, I had not the slightest idea why. "What you doin' here, Sammy?" I asked with my head cocked to the side. He stood before me with his hands folded behind his back.

"I needed to see you before we did this. Without Shayne. Without Shakur. I needed it to be just us." I nodded but before I let him say whatever he had to say I decided to get some things off my chest too.

"Sammy... you know this ain't gone change nothin' between us," I said and watched him begin to shake his head. "Sue..." he trailed off. "What?"

"I think you already know what I know. What you think gone happen after you tell him those are my kids if they are? You just gone forgive him again?"

"He won't touch me... but even if he did... after what he's gonna be findin' out I wouldn't blame him."

Sammy smacked his teeth. "That nigga got you brainwashed. Regardless of allat, if I find out he put his hands on you again, that's his life. You lucky I let his ass live to see another day after findin' out what I found out." I stood there unmoved. "Samuel... don't touch my husband. Like I said... if the test don't come back how we want it, Cortez will understand. You was right. Had he never put his hands on me I wouldn't have thought twice about you that night. He'll see that. My husband is a lot of things but he's not irrational."

Sammy stood there not saying anything. He placed his hands on my hips and pulled me close. "Fuck allat Suzette. I really don't care what you think about his bogus ass. But you know me well enough to know I ain't never went back on my word. If I said it, I'ma stand onnat shit. I been like that all my life and I'ma be like that until I die. If I find out he touched you, he ain't gone know what hit him. And stop callin' me that shit before I throw you in this car and really talk it out witcha." Sammy tried to touch my face and I hit his hand.

"What is up with you try'na be my knight in shinin' armor all of a sudden? I don't need you to save me. What, do you think if one of them is yours, I'll just drop what I got with Cortez and run back to you? What we had was good while it lasted but it ain't last for a reason. I'm fine with that and you need to get fine with that too."

"Whatchu got with Cortez?" Sammy barely held back his ignorant ass laugh.

"Fuck you Sammy," I sucked my teeth as the biggest tear fell from my eye.

"What happened to us bein' a til eternity thing?" He asked and I shook my head. "We was seventeen years old when we said that. How you still making this my fault? Why do you keep doing this to me? I hate you..." I cried.

"Suzette," Sammy tried to cut in but I had a piece of my mind cut just for him. "You made me tell you I loved you just to run around after those fast ass hoes! And act like you was broken and needed me to put you back together and refuse to give me the pieces!" I spat while pushing Sammy away. "Suzette," he says as he tries to hug me. "And it was like you made sure I cut my hands on every piece that you did give me. Twenty somethin' years later and this is still my fault?! Because you came back too late? You knew what I was... you knew what I needed. And you didn't want that with me. You wanted something else. And I let you have that. Now that lil teenage love affair.... Was just that. And that's all it's ever gone be." "Sue you know that wasn't nothing random for me. That was love, Sweetheart. Yeah, we spent our time apart. But I know that the love I had for you ain't go nowhere. And I can see the love you had for me back in the day is still right here after all these years." He poked his finger at my heart.