Through The Fire

Suzette

"Ouuuuuccch!" Shayne groaned while shaking her hand after being popped by some grease. "Sweetie, what is you doin'?" I asked as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders, holding onto me like the big ass baby I raised her to be. "I'm obviously getting too close, that's what I'm doing," she said and I laughed as she pulled away.

I started cleaning up my waffle maker and the area I was cooking in. I plated the fried chicken and the waffles, mixed up some fresh fruit in a bowl, and poured the eggs out of the pan I was scrambling them in and into another bowl. Shayne took the remainder of the bacon she was frying and put it on a plate. We took everything into the dining room where the rest of my kids were seated with their faces stuck in those phones. "Y'all put them thangs away— now. And somebody go get your Daddy," I said as I sat down and started pouring glasses of orange juice. Shayne went to fetch Cortez and returned with him a couple of minutes later. Before taking his seat at the opposite head of the table, Cortez placed his hands on my shoulders, kissed my cheek, and said, "Good morning dear."

After Cortez sat, he prayed and we ate and we all began making light conversation. "What y'all doin' after breakfast?" I asked and Shakur spoke up, "I got some business to take care of today." My husband shook his head.

"Mhm, so when am I gone see my grand baby?" I asked. "Soon hopefully, if Arnell get off that bullshit," Shakur stated and I almost laughed as Cortez butted in, "Come on now."

"Like I said, if Arnell get off that bullshit. I ain't seen Jazhya either Mama. Every time I go to see her or get her, here Arnell go asking me for more money like what I'm giving her ain't more than enough. And I always take her shopping. She got more clothes and shoes than I do." I shook my head.

"I told you to watch out for that lil girl but you ain't wanna listen to me. And stop that cussin' at my table. Anyway, what ever happened to the lil pretty one I liked? Emerald... I never hear you talk about her no more," I said as I looked up to see my son's chest deflate as he stared down into his food. "Man Emerald don't give a fuck about me," he mumbled and I sucked my teeth as Cortez got to huffing and puffing and looking at me from across the table. I balled up my napkin and threw it at Shakur. "Watch your mouth, I said!" Shakur sucked his teeth like a lil girl. "Ion't know why you sitting there having a pity party, Shakur. I told you time and time again, a woman is only gone let you hurt her but so much... now it's her turn."

"Her turn? Man that's over and done with, Ma. Ain't no coming back from what I did."

I took a deep breath. "How about you just thank God for my grandbaby?"

"I do. Every day."

"Then fix your face!" I rolled my eyes before turning to Saniya who was trying to text under the table.

"What about you Niya? Whatchu getting into?" I asked and Saniya looked up at me smiling. "Not much, Ma. I wanted to ask if I could hang out with a couple friends later?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and asked, "Who are these friends?"

"Yazmine and RaShay. They're on the cheerleading team with me and Lovely. Yaz invited us over," Saniya answered.

"Sure. Come see me before you leave outta here lil girl," I told her before looking to C.J. "Got any plans while you home baby boy?" I asked and he shook his head. "Nothing solid. Might hang out with some friends from high school." I nodded as I continued eating off my plate. "Hmm, what are you doing today Shay? Oh, nothing Mama, just some homework," Shayne planted herself into the conversation and I laughed. "I already knew that. That's why I ain't asked you boulder head," I plucked her.