If It Ain't Luv

Suzette

"Hey Sweetheart," I opened my eyes confused and thinking maybe I was having some kind of crazy dream because of all the pain medicine I was on. But before me stood my Sammy with a smile that could dazzle the world on his face. "Whatchu doin' here?" I whined as he laughed softly while leaning in to kiss on me. "I told you I missed you, bae. You ain't miss a nigga?" Sammy asked while sitting on the edge of my bed and I just nodded.

"You know I missed you. What you been up to?"
"Workin'. You know me. We always talk about me though, how you feelin' Sue? My baby told me you was up in here in pain." I rolled my eyes and Sammy laughed.

"Stop doin' her like that. She just try'na look out for you."

"Well since you're here you may as well be useful," I said while scooting over in the bed and Sammy chuckled while pulling his shoes off and laying beside me. "I made some alfredo and asparagus and made you a plate so when you get hungry let me know," he said while sitting his laptop on the lap tray in front of us and putting on a movie. I laid my head on Sammy's shoulder as he held on to me and in just a few minutes I drifted off to sleep.

But it couldn't have been more than an hour later that I woke up moaning in pain. "What's the matter, Sue? Should I get your nurse?" I shook my head but Sammy smacked his teeth and got up, put his shoes on and left the room. He returned a few minutes later with the night nurse coming in behind him.

"What's going on love, is everything alright?" She asked. "Yes I'm fine," I tried to tell her and Sammy shook his head. "She woke up moanin' in pain."

"Aw, I'm sorry to hear that Mrs. Woods. You don't have to hesitate to ask for care. You just had surgery yesterday. It's normal to have a few aches and pains and you're gonna need the meds to keep that under control. So tell me exactly what kind of pain you're experiencing," the nurse insisted and I sighed. "I woke up and my head was rollin' and the pain was runnin' all down my neck."

"Alright, that's nothing we can't take care of. I'm gonna run and grab something for that and bring you some more water, alright?" I simply nodded as the nurse left the room. I looked up at Sammy who was standing beside the bed staring down at me with his arms crossed over that hard chest. "Don't look at me like that. Why every time I ask you what's wrong you lie to me?" I sighed. "I don't need you feelin' bad for me Sammy." He grabbed my hand without saying anything just as the nurse came back in to change my bag.

"Alright Mrs. Woods, here's that medication for you and I just wanna check your incision for healthy scar tissue before changing the bandage for the night."

She sat the bed up some more before changing the gauze bandage on my head.

"You're looking really good. Keep healing like this and you'll be on your way home in no time. If you need anything please don't hesitate to press the bell. I'll be right at the nurses station," the nurse said with a soft smile. "Thank you," I moused as she left, closing the door behind her. Sammy drew the curtain between the hospital bed and the door before taking his place beside me once more and I relaxed in his arms.

"You sound tired, close those eyes Sue," he said and I started pouting. "Unt-uh, you here now I don't wanna go to sleep." He chuckled. "You don't listen to nothin' I got to say, do you?"

I shrugged slowly. "Listenin' to you is what's got me layin' up in this hospital bed like this." He kissed my cheek. "And you don't know just how happy I am about that Sue. I wouldn't have been able to take it if somethin' happened to you... but this... means more life." A small smile crept its way onto my lips as he turned me onto my side before telling me to go to sleep. "Sammy," I said through my tears that I was doing my damndest to keep bottled up.