Let's Lay Together

Suzette

"Boy if you drop that chest, I'ma drop you!" I called behind C.J. as he carried the chest my mother passed on to me that I kept all sorts of memorabilia inside of up the stairs. Sammy laughed as he passed me by to carry another box upstairs. "Mama... where's my room?" Saniya asked as she struggled while carrying a tote inside.

"Come on my baby, follow me." I started to lead her upstairs, when Jigga— our new blue pitbull puppy started running around my feet. "RUFF! GRRRRUFFF!" I shook my head. "Come on lil fucker, you ain't finna trip me up today," I said as I picked him up and Saniya laughed as I took her up and into the room next to what Sammy told me could be my new vanity room. She sat on her new bed out of breath and I laughed quaintly. "You've got a few more boxes to get off the truck. Come on, I'll help you." I stuck out my hand to offer my assistance. "Oh no you won't. Come on Niya, I'll help you," Sammy said, appearing behind me and I scoffed.

"Don't be actin' like I'm helpless now," I said while pushing his shoulder softly and Sammy took my hand and kissed my ring finger. "You ain't helpless. Just a queen. Go check out what Sweetie is doin' down the hall with Zay. It's too cute, I swear." He kissed my chin and I just shook my head as he went downstairs and out the door with Saniya. I walked down the long hallway to find Shayne playing Super Baby with Zaya just like Sammy used to do with her when she was little. I stood at the door watching silently until I caught Zaya's attention.

"Myyyy mission is now complete! It's safe to land, Mama." Zaya said with one fist in the air.

"Nana you seent me?!" Zaya laughed as Shayne held her to her chest before kissing her head. "I seent you baby," I chuckled, entering and sitting beside them on the naked mattress and sitting Jigga on the floor for him to run himself out. "I brought some beddin' for you, it's in a closet down the hall. But you might wanna get it now if you wanna choose cuz I'm gonna tell your sister the same thing."

"Speaking of my sister, why she get the biggest room?" I chuckled. "I know you not jealous. Cuz she the baby." "But I'm the oldest." I laughed while shaking my head.

"And she brought all that stuff. Something you ain't telling us, Mama?" I rolled my eyes. "No. And you better be happy I put a lil distance between our room and yours."

"Oh, I think I'm gonna be sick." Shayne gagged and I laughed. "You got a nice room here. But we'll be back home in just three months when the contractors finish. Did you hear anything from your lawyer about when he'd be servin' Darnell with those divorce papers?" She nodded as she covered Zaya's ears. "Today. Zaya was supposed to spend the week with him but I'm not sure that's a good idea anymore."

"Well keep her. Don't forget to get your beddin' out of the closet down the hall. I'm gone check on your brother and make lunch." I left Shayne's room with Jigga following behind me and rounded a corner before entering Shakur's room to find him putting clothes in the closet. I looked around at the furnished room and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Boy, I could jack you up for not tellin' me your Godfather gave you a room here." I took a seat on the bed and Shakur chuckled. "He knew you'd be upset and I was tired of coming home to hear whatever I may have heard. He only helped me out until I got on my feet. I moved out two years ago. I'm surprised all this stuff was still here." I shook my head. "Come here, babe." I patted the space beside me on the bed and Shakur sat down.

"I know... you deny and deny and deny what exactly it is that you do. But I'm your Mama, boy. I'm far from stupid. You sellin' drugs?" Shakur shook his head.